Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Dark & Spicy

Here's a quick tip I've been intending to mention but just never seem to remember. I'm burning essential oil of peppermint, rosemary and roman chamomile at the moment, however, which allegedly help both memory and motivation, so, I figure this is the chance to write it down.
So, I do this little trick with coffee when I make it at home that renders it truly exquisite. It's easy, it's cheap, it's delicious, and it takes you places. What's the trick? When grinding up your beans, crack open a cardamom pod and drop the seeds in along with the coffee. Be sure to toss the pod into the compost; it's just the seeds you're after. 
Grind it up until you've rendered the beans to a fine powder. Add to your press or coffee pot, add water, and voila! Your own Turkish coffee facsimile, in the quiet pleasure of your own jammies. 
I haven't tried it out yet, but I think a bit of cinnamon bark or a whole clove would create an equally aromatic cuppa joe. Bottoms up!

2 comments:

Sarah Ryhanen said...

this idea makes me feel warm and jittery. cardamom is the greatest, isn't it?

ashley english said...

yes, 'tis.
update: tried it with cinnamon bark on this chilly late september morn and it was heavnenly. up next, nutmeg!