Friday, June 25, 2010

Blueberry-Raspberry Jam with Allspice & Rum

Here I am, on a hot, sticky Friday night, the gentle rumble of a mountain thunderstorm calling outside, stirring jam and lifting jars in and out of a boiling cauldron. Down to the wire (all entries are due by midnight tonight!), I was determined to get my entry in this month for the June edition of Tigress's Can Jam.

As the item called for in the challenge was "berries", I took the liberty of mixing two options, blueberry and raspberry. Doesn't get much more summertime than berries! And with a hint of allspice and a kiss of dark rum, these beauties will be a timely, and undoubtedly well-received, gift come the holidays!

Blueberry-Raspberry Jam with Allspice & Rum
Yield: Eighteen 4-ounce jars, or 4-5 pint jars.

You will need:
-2 pints (4 c.) blueberries, fresh or frozen
-1 pint (2 c.) raspberries, fresh or frozen
-6 c. granulated sugar
-1/4 c. dark rum
-2 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
-1 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
-2 packets liquid pectin

To prepare:
1. Sterilize mason jars, lids, and screw rings in size of your choice. Fill a canner or large stockpot with water and set over medium-high heat. Bring just to the boiling point. Place the lids in a small saucepan, fill with water, bring to a boil, turn off the heat, and set the pan aside.
2. Rinse berries gently with cold water. Using either a potato masher or quick pulses in a food processor, mash the berries coarsely (be sure to leave chunky bits; your objective is to mash, not to blend to uniformity).
3. Place mashed berries, sugar, rum, lemon juice, and allspice in a large pot. Bring to a boil, stirring continually.
4. Once mixture achieves a full, rolling boil, add liquid pectin. Stir constantly for one minute. Remove from heat and, using a skimmer or slotted metal spoon, skim off any foam.
4. Remove the hot jars from the canner and place them on top of a kitchen cloth on the counter. With the help of a canning funnel, ladle the jam into the jars, reserving 1/4-inch headspace. Use a nonmetallic spatula to remove any trapped air bubbles and wipe the rims clean with a damp cloth. Place on the lids and screw bands, tightening only until fingertip-tight.
5. Using a jar lifter, place the filled jars into the canner. Process for 10 minutes, beginning processing time only once water is at a full, rolling boil. Remember to adjust for altitude.

*Hot jars 'a cooling. Please pardon the poor light and dreaded flash witnessed in the photo above. Like I said, I'm down to the wire and, come nighttime, my customarily darkened house gets positively tomb-like.

9 comments:

tanvi said...

Why have I never put rum in my jams before this?! Brilliant idea.

Laken said...

Yum. This sounds so good.

Emily said...

Mmmmmm, mmmm good. Good luck!

Shalet said...

Ooooh - I canned for the first time last summer. This sounds like a GREAT recipe -- lovin' the rum aspect! I can't wait to try it!

EcoGrrl said...

lovely! i just may swipe this recipe and use blackberries instead :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that sounds and looks wonderful! Now I have a bee in my bonnet to make some, so I guess I know how this afternoon will be spent - thanks for the inspiration.

Leanne Coppola said...

lovely :) in the mood to make something yummy and different. I think I HAVE to do this sometime this week. Thanks for the recipe and great idea!!!

MollyKnits said...

Oh, I am SO in the middle of blueberry jam here. I will have to try this next!

tigress said...

this looks wonderful! allspice and berries are such a great combo! :)