Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sips & Reads

I picked up a bottle of this Lenoir, NC-made apple brandy the other day. It's created using N.C. apples in a 110 year-old carriage house in downtown Lenoir, and aged in white oaks barrels. I haven't cracked it open yet, but I'm pretty excited to do so. Any of you have a preferred means of imbibing apple brandy? On the rocks? Mixed with sparkling cider? Chilled?

Meanwhile, after wrapping up this series last week, I've begun reading Kurt Timmermeister's Growing A Farmer: How I Learned To Live Off the Land. The book tells the candid tale of the author's transition from owner of a small 4-top cafe in Seattle to proprietor of a 13-acre dairy farm (Kurtwood Farms) and creamery. I'm totally smitten with the book so far and look forward every night to when the monkey pictured above finally turns in (he's not going down until 10:30-ish lately-sheesh!) to jump back into its inspired pages.

Plus, I just checked the 10-day forecast for Vashon Island and, well, it's pretty much my idea of heaven. Maybe someday we'll make the transition to the west coast. The humidity alone around here lately is enough to make me point my compass due west.


11 comments:

Flint Handmade said...

I really want to read Growing a Farmer! I heard an interview with the author on NPR and it sounded like it would be in my wheel house.

If you have any other book recommendations, that would make a great post! :)

-Crystal

Alison said...

Love the apple brandy! Is it available in AVL or do we need to go to Lenoir? We use it most often to improve one of our not-quite-right homemade hard ciders. A lovely, more-formal drink is the Autumn Orchard. The recipe is at Bon Appetit: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2010/11/the_autumn_orchard

Thanks for the book recommendation, too! Sounds right up my alley.

ashley english said...

alison-i picked up my bottle from the abc store in enka. i think you can find it in asheville, too.

Alison said...

Great! One other drink idea: Stone Fence Punch from Mark Rosenstein's wonderful book, In Praise of Apples. It's great in the fall when fresh apple juice abounds and it works as a hot or cold drink.

Anita said...

I've never had apple brandy, but I've heard it's rather good...might have to try to locate a bottle myself. Am definitely going to check out the book. Hope you have a lovely week.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Walker just found us some apple brandy. More importantly, what a fantastic picture of the little man :D

Anonymous said...

I have read "Growing a Farmer" and enjoyed it too. I live on Puget Sound very near Vashon Island which made it more interesting. The weather has been cooler than our usual summer weather here (my tomatoes are currently green marbles and I still have some spinach growing) but we're still glad we're not experiencing what most of the rest of the country is. It really is beautiful here.

elisa said...

if your apple brandy holds out til winter, when i was cooking at river cottage in icy january we'd take a break in the morning for a cup of cocoa with a healthy dose of cider apple brandy. glorious. x

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

Loved that book!! Hmmm...apple brandy. Sounds interesting.

Unknown said...

Let me tell you, that forecast is the warmest we've seen this Summer! Not that I want 100+, but we've barely reached 70 most days. Doesn't seem like Summer at all and don't get me started on the garden...

I'll be in NY soon for a trip and complaining about the heat I'm sure. :)

Jen S. said...

When I have the chance to get on the computer I enjoy reading your blog. I just had to leave a quick comment here to let you know mmyou have a great blog.

I also read Growing a Farmer, I really loved it! I hope you enjoy it as well.