Sunday, July 1, 2012

Weekend Eats: Bolognese-esque Frittata

I hate wasting food. I go to great lengths to ensure we use every bit of food we purchase or grow. That's especially true of leftovers.

Sometimes Hubs cooks like there's an army coming over for dinner, instead of just us two and Huxley. I never complain, because his eats are always amazing. That said, we're sometimes staring down the same dish for multiple meals, across several days.

Which is where we get creative. This morning was one such occasion. We'd enjoyed a Bolognese-ish sauce over tortellini a few days ago. It was filled with tomatoes, spinach, herbs, spices and Hickory Nut Gap ground pork. So, so good. We'd had it over three meals, though, and had a bit more that needed to go into a new incarnation.

Enter the frittata. The meal you can always count on, the friend that's always got your back. As simple as simple can be, the frittata never disappoints. Whatever leftovers you've got on hand, they can go into a frittata. Pasta? Put it in a frittata! On-the-edge veggies in the crisper? Put 'em in a frittata! Or, like we did with our Bolognese-esque "we seriously need to mix it up" sauce-frittata to the rescue!

It's low-fi, affordable, fast, and good. And that, friends, is all you really need. 


8 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree. We do a lot of frittatas around here when I can't think of what else to do with all the greens.

Unknown said...

I feel stupid, but I am so sure that I read a few days ago about a recipe you had for your own chicken feed that you order the different grains for from Azure Standard. Apparently I didn't bookmark it and can't find it for anything. Any way you know what post this was in and could point me in the right direction? I was looking to try that out with our birds.

ashley english said...

charlene-it was my friend linda ly that made the post, on her blog garden betty: http://www.gardenbetty.com/.

Unknown said...

i'm with ya sister! frittatas and/or quiche = my savior when i don't know what to do with veggies or left overs. well done.

Small side note: Tomorrow (wed) is the very first posting for our Fresh Foods Link Up! Come share your CSA collections, farmer's market treasures, home grown/raised hauls, and/or any seasonal recipes or DIY projects or tutorials! We've got a way for bloggers AND blog readers to participate!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much! I'm sure I must've wandered onto her page via yours since I thought you had the recipe. Appreciate it.

Kate Moore said...

Seriously brilliant. So brilliant I've had this sitting in my reader to share on a post, which I've since done. http://katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/ok-i-am-going-to-get-this-one-thing-off.html

Kate Moore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate Moore said...

Sorry. Got a bit carried away with the enter button and posted my comment twice. Eep.