Sunday, November 23, 2008

A robe of one's own

It's pretty cold 'round here lately. Yesterday morning, the outdoor thermometer read 17 degrees. That's unseasonably cold for here. In addition to working steadfastly on the wood stove, we employ ample use of flannel chez English in our efforts at staying warm when the mercury plunges. 
The above image is of my new robe. It's plaid, it's flannel, and it's big, which makes it an instant winner in my book. It's also a men's robe. Turns out most of the colors I prefer for my wardrobe are not the colors clothing designers believe women desire. While my palette is admittedly on the darker end of the color spectrum, I don't think I'm the only female wishing to wrap herself up in something other than pink terry cloth snowflakes. 
This robe, created by the charmingly titled "Knotty Woodpecker" line, is a men's small. On me, it's a women's XXL. I love it, though. Paired with wool socks, a pot of hot tea, the occasional hot toddy, and the aforementioned wood stove, I'm making friends with Jack Frost. I'd really love to pick up one of these incredible hot water bottle covers from Toast, out of the U.K.. My hot water bottle, while fighting off cramps and warming toes with equal skill, falls terribly short of anything resembling "lovely." More like big, pink, rubber hideousness. Europeans have a good thing going with their ubiquitous use of hot water bottles. If you haven't done so yet, try out a hot water bottle. Get a plaid flannel robe of your own, slide a hot water bottle under the sheets (flannel, if you really want to gild the lily), and fall into a winter wonderland. 

No comments: