Sunday, December 14, 2008

Hearts and Behinds Campaign

No one ever said keeping chickens was going to be a cakewalk. I'd noticed Uno's backside looking a little less than pleasant on Friday. Yesterday, I could tell something was up and this morning, upon closer inspection, well, suffice to say, things aren't looking too altogether bootylicious for Uno right now. For those who know chickens, her cloaca is prolapsed. She's the shrimpiest gal in my flock, so passing eggs must have caused things to move a bit too much, if you see where I'm going without my having to get technical (I know some of you have weak stomachs).

So, I suited up in the clothes I reserve expressly for dealing with messes and general unpleasantness and headed out to wash a chicken's butt. We made some headway , as I plopped her fanny into a large, warm bowl of water and then rubbed her bum with honey, which is supposed to heal the wound. She looked like a wet, sticky, frazzled chicken when we were all done. Fingers and toes crossed that things will begin to heal over. She's isolated in the chicken tractor right now until things are a little less red. Chickens can be cruel and are especially interested in pecking anything red-colored, be that an earthworm or a chicken's heiney. A chicken tractor, for those who don't spend all their time pouring over chicken books (although you'll LOVE mine, whether you have chickens or not!), is simply a mobile chicken housing structure. Glenn built the most incredible one for the book and I promise to post pictures soon. The photo above, by the way, is of Uno on the day of the big photo shoot, so a big thank you to Lark books for the image. If you believe in long-distance healing chicken love, I'm sure Uno would appreciate having some sent her way today.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I hope Uno feels better soon! I'm sending some good healing thoughts her way!

Anonymous said...

oh, no! i bet when you first imagined having your own chickens you never imagined it would involve massaging a hen's bum with honey. oh, the glamorous side of a chicken tender.

good to know that palace of a chicken tractor is getting some good use. she will heal up in style.

Bonner said...

If the signal increases with the distance, my chicken butt love should be the most potent of all. I join with all Californians of Uno's kind when I say, "heal up, lil' butt!"