Saturday, December 20, 2008

When I Was Just A Little Girl



This is an old Christmas card written by my youngest sister, Theo (the little blond in the picture). Devan is the one with the weird grimace and I'm the 18-year old with too much eye makeup on. I love this card. It resurfaced recently after years of living in my "letters" box. I keep it on my desk for a quick smile. Never underestimate the power of hand-written cards and letters. I've tucked away many for posterity. For me, they have the transcendent power of scents, instantly transporting me back to people and places long ago. They help me see things with fresh eyes, where I was, where I've gone, who I am becoming, how malleable reality is. 

I've been busy lately, beginning the next book and brewing up homemade concoctions for holiday gift-giving. I can't reveal too much just yet, as the recipients haven't received their gifts and many of them are readers of this blog. All secrets will be revealed in due time, though, I promise. 

*Yes, I know it looks like I have a lazy eye. No, I don't.
**Yes, I too see the weird fuzzy stuff around the photo. No, I don't have any idea what it is.
***Yes, she spelled it Chirstmax. It's an Adams Family holiday, sort of like Festivus is for the Kostanzas. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look BEAUTIFUL DARLING! As a matter of fact you look just like your MOTHER! Ah!Ha

MOM!

Emily said...

That card's precious. I love the spelling of Chrismas as Christmax. Things like that are worth keeping around for a rainy day!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's old-school.

Much love,
Walker

Anonymous said...

There's nothing better than Christmas/Festivus/Christmax with Ashley!!!