Monday, July 20, 2009

I'm On A Float

Today is my stepmother's 60th birthday. To celebrate the occasion, my Pop rented a house on the Atlantic Ocean in Florida, just south of St. Augustine. Beth wasn't too keen on my imminent departure, as evidenced above. 
Moving the suitcase didn't work either, as Cleo had the same idea. 
We did make it out, though, and have been enjoying sun, surf, sand, and Lazy Rivers (inducing Glenn to sing, repeatedly, this posts' title) since Saturday. My stepmother's friend brought fresh eggs from her 14 hens, which G. deftly transformed into frittatas of a divine nature. 
Don't be fooled by the seemingly tame presence of a puzzle. This group is full throttle; so much so in fact, that six of them are en route to an airport to engage in a bit of airplane jumping. My stepmother said it was on her "bucket list," so in mere minutes, she and her children, along with several family friends, plan to plunge, willingly, out of a moving aircraft. Not that variety of thrill-seeker, I intend to sip my coffee, nosh on my yogurt, and send them thoughts of successful chutes and sturdy ankles. 

But on to more important news, THE GIVEAWAY WINNER! According to a random number generator, the winner of this month's Small Measure Can-Do giveaway is Lacey over at neohippiemama

I plugged numbers 1 through 86 into the widget below, and it provided the winning digits. Congrats, Lacey, and thanks to all the rest of you who shared your glorious recollections of summer foods. Don't be discouraged if you didn't win. Remember, until publication of the "Raising Chickens" and "Canning & Preserving" (books 1 & 2 in the Homemade Living series) April 2010, I'll be giving away a monthly jar of deliciousness. Check back the first Monday of every month to see what's up for grabs!  

Small Measure: Play board games. Decidedly low-fi, board games are a great way to entertain groups of varying ages, political persuasions, and degrees of raucousness. Laughs are usually had, brains are usually given a workout, and allegiances are usually forged. Besides, on what other occasion might you witness your step-mother imitating Cosmo Kramer, your Pop humming "Hound Dog" (while gyrating, for, you know, emphasis), and your husband sculpting a television out of clay (Thank you, Cranium!)?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ash-I would do it again!!
love you, Gail

Anonymous said...

My friends & I have girl's game night once a month -- we get together, have from food and drink and play a board game -- it is so much fun and we don't have to go out -- I highly recommend it.