Friday, February 19, 2010

Pollen-nation



Happy Friday! The sun is shining and it's supposed to get up to 46 degrees today here. It couldn't come any sooner!

My "Small Measures with Ashley" post is up on Design Sponge. Today's topic covers habitats for wild pollinators. Absolutely crucial to food crop pollination, wild pollinators need all the love we can give them. The three habitats shown above were expertly crafted by my creative, and attention-to-detail-loving, spouse. We'll position them in varying locations around the property, inviting bachelor and bachelorette pollinators to hang out a shingle and call the place home.

*Be sure to check back later today for a sneak peek at my "Keeping Chickens" book!

9 comments:

beth said...

Would something like this keep the carpenter bees from boring into my fence posts and porch?

ashley english said...

beth-i can't make any promises, but it would certainly give them an attractive alternative, and one that's already carved out and ready for them!

kdilley said...

These are so simple and beautiful! Love them!

megan said...

Those are really nice looking houses! I've been keeping an eye out for scrap materials that would make good habitat, but I have a feeling that mine won't look quite so pretty.

Morgan G said...

These are fantastic, Ashley! Thanks for sharing such a great idea. We are in such dire need of bees, that I've hand to hand pollinate here. Tedious work!

Anonymous said...

Looks fantastic!

EcoGrrl said...

those are lovely...simple yet shall i even say artistic...can't wait to see pix with bees buzzin' around!!!

Home Gold Home Plate said...

I loved your post on the bees...I too am monoriting the bees in France..Thaank you for the kinks
pamela

Home Gold Home Plate said...

thanks for the post on bees..I too am watching them here in France and busy with the bees