Friday, November 12, 2010

Wabi Sabi

Hi everyone! My "Small Measures with Ashley" post is up over at Design Sponge. Today I'm examining the Japanese aesthetic philosophy of Wabi Sabi. I've long found its values to align with my own, its worldview to be one which embraces the sort of comfort and acceptance that I espouse, and it's recognition of the inextricable link between humans and the rest of the natural world to be truly inspirational. Plus, I think it's cool. There, I said it.

Have a fabulous weekend. We've got a whole bunch of nothing planned. Well, not exactly nothing, but no plans to go anywhere. Tomorrow a wonderful woman from the Asheville La Leche League is coming over to help me work on latch issues with Huxley. He latches (boy, does he ever latch!), only it kills every time he does. I know that this will all get easier in the coming weeks and months, but in the meantime, his tiny mouth feels like a vice grip each time we nurse (which, at his age, is a lot; a whole lot). Still, I'm committed to it, especially after learning yesterday at our 3-week postpartum visit that he's now 6 lbs., 7 ounces, so he's clearly getting enough nourishment! Plus, his, ahem "output" is vast. Hubs refers to him as "Sir Poops A-Lot." 'Tis true. He'll be Hercules before we know it!

Sunday my mom is coming over again to spend some q.t. with her grandson while I (hopefully) luxuriate in a hot bath and sip calming tea. Of course, as with all things lately, I'm not letting myself get too attached to that idea...you know, "best laid plans" and all...

Wherever your weekend takes you, here's hoping the destination is a bliss-filled one!

*Image from here.

4 comments:

DarcC said...

I hope your mom's visit goes as planned!

Anna said...

Good luck with the nursing consult. It can be rough the first bit. It took me almost six weeks to get it right. I'm definitely not trying to scare you or anything!

It turned out we had an undiagnosed and overlooked case of thrush that was masking the latch issue. The latch was right, but it hurt no matter what until we finally medicated for thrush. My daughter was a champion nurser, too. Amazing strength for a little sucker!

ellen said...

Hang in there with the nursing. Hopefully the nursing consult will help figure out the problem - it won't always hurt! Once you sort it out it becomes a wonderful feeling - not a painful one!

Sarah said...

We call our little peanut "Lady Poops-a-Lot". It's quite remarkable how much can come out of such a small being.