Thursday, January 27, 2011

Everything Is Amazing

So, this is what I've been thinking about lately, and talking about with Hubs. Comedian Louis K. encapsulates the sentiments we've been ruminating over perfectly-that everything is amazing and yet, no one is happy.

Watching the Edwardian & Victorian Farm videos is what really started bringing it home for me. If I want to go somewhere, I hop in my car and, a bit of time later, I'm there, with minimal expenditure of physical labor. Ditto for washing my dishes, or my clothes, or, heck, even my car if I so choose. My food is kept perpetually chilled, or frozen. Hot, luxurious water pours (cleanly!) from my bathtub spigot! I have indoor plumbing! There are strawberries available, for the taking, at my local grocer. In January.

Certainly, not everyone on Earth has access to such modern technologies. And, as I mentioned in the Edwardian & Victorian farm post, while these technologies bring their own host of other issues to contend with, they certainly offer a standard of living (not to mention type of life) never known in the history of humankind. And that, friends, is amazing.

I, for one, am quite happy.

*Apologies for the shoddy quality of the video. That's the only form the internet seems to have it in...

9 comments:

Ray said...

"then when you ran out of money, you be like well, we just can't do any things now" that! exactly that!!

Lacy said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Exactly what I needed. I just lost my job and was laminating about how unemployment is a tad lower than my actual salary.....WTH! This is all so true & I need to remember how lucky I am. Thanks Ashley!

jen said...

I never thought I would say that Louis CK gave me motivation, but it's true. :)
We do live in incredible times. In our family, we're looking to step back to simpler things - forge stronger community with neighbors, be grateful for the awesome times we live in.
Though, I admit I would be the person that complained about my phone taking too long, ha ha.

jenny said...

Thanks for the laughs, Ashley. That was AMAZING :) So funny and true.

Heather said...

Absolutely Ray- ha ha~ I was thinking the same thing! That's always been our financial philosophy around here. We're old school that way I guess.

Laurie said...

Saw Everything's Amazing a week or two ago. So true. I'm so glad to know about the edwardian/victorian farming videos. We just finished the Colonial House series. Thank you!

Tracy P said...

That was so hilarious - because it is sooo true! We have become such spoiled people, and feel like we have a "right" to all things, all the time. Thanks for posting this - made me laugh out loud, and brightened my morning.

Sharon said...

My husband calls life on our homestead "Back to basics with an emphasis on technology!"

We loved the Victorian Farm Series and have almost finished the Edwardian series too.

hilary said...

this made my day. "Lesson learned don't get trapped in the dark circles in your life" Learn not to so spoiled for everything you need to achieve must be exerted with effort. Thanks for posting!