Friday, May 4, 2012

Clean Up Your Act

My Small Measures post is up over on Design Sponge. This week I'm chatting about making several all-natural, inexpensive, supremely easy cleaning products. You can read the full post here.

As I mention in the post, whenever we've used up the contents of an attractive bottle, we give it a thorough sanitizing wash in the dishwasher and then store it away for later use. We've got a basement with a wall of built-in wood shelves in one corner that's perfect for this purpose, but, lacking that, you could store yours in a pantry, or even in a linen closet. The bottles come in handy for gift-giving purposes like homemade infused vinegars, as well as for prettying up homemade cleaners. It's a great way to upcycle both bottles and spray nozzles alike.

What about you? Do you make any of your own cleaning products? I'd love to hear your DIY solutions for greening up your clean up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your pretty bottles and upcycled nozzles. Very useful!

Unknown said...

I guess I didn't realize used-up spray nozzles would even fit on pretty glass bottles like those. That's what I get for not trying! We just moved into a new house and I'm trying to transition all of my cleaning products to homemade ones, so this is timely-- thank you, Ashley!

naturally crafted mama said...

a friend of mine recently introduced me to a lavender thyme disinfectant cleaner- soak thyme and lavender in vinegar for several days, strain and add about 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water. add a few drops of thyme and lavender essential oil if you like. this one is definitely one for a clear pretty bottle- the lavender buds turn it a beautiful purple shade.

mandi said...

I make all of our cleaners. The one I'm really like right now is here on my blog: http://herbanhomestead.blogspot.com/2012/01/all-purpose-cleaner-recipe.html