Friday, May 25, 2012

What I'm Digging

 Happy Friday, friends! We've had an interesting 24+ hours, chez English. Due to a fire at the power substation near our house yesterday (how absolutely terrifying does that sound???), we lost electricity around 1 p.m. yesterday. Since our well is electrically operated, we also lost use of running water. To that snafu yesterday, you can add the following: two crone cats that elected to urinate outside of their litter box four times, a rabbit that met an untimely demise by our two dogs after trapping itself in the fenced in area off of our porch, and a financial kerfuffle that blindsided us. Whew.

Fortunately, all of those issues have now rectified themselves and the gentle ease that is more characteristic of our daily goings on is returning. Which is fine by me. The glass of chilled wine beside me as I type this is definitely adding to the calm. Which is also fine by me.

While we unload from that mountain of stress, on a brighter note, here's a smattering of this's and that's that caught my attention this week:
*Constellation in a jar!
*You scream, I scream, we all scream for ice cream.
 *Speaking of ice cream, KC made peach lavender gelato with leftovers from my recipe.
*My friend Nicole went to northern California and her visit was a gorgeous one!
*From scratch pita.
*10 easy ways to beat weeds naturally.
*Yee haw! LA bans plastic bags!
*This book looks made for me (and Huxley).
*Sophie does it again (the photography is sensational, plus, she's always impossibly lovely!).
*Marisa's book is out (look for a small measure giveaway soon!!!), and it's a good one.
*Issue #2 of Taproot is almost here and the preview looks incredible.

My little sister, Theo, rolls into town for over a week visit tomorrow. I can't wait to see her! I always love it when my sisters come to visit. Plus, Hubs turns 45 next Friday, and our 5th anniversary is Saturday, so we're thinking of taking our 1st ever date night since becoming parents Friday night. Theo is a super experienced babysitter, plus, well, she's my sister and Huxley's aunt. Win-win!

We've been invited to a South African food feast at the home of our veternarian and good friend, Heather Sinclair, tomorrow evening. Sunday will find us in Montreat, playing in the park and celebrating the 3rd birthday of Milo, the son of our close friends Faryn and Eli. Should be a good weekend, more than redeeming the screwy bit proceeding it!

Wherever you go this weekend, whatever you do, and whomever you do it with, may it be grand!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

We did a fun thing for our kids years ago- bought (thrift store)cheap use golf clubs, and balls, laid out a garden hose and created a putt-putt golf course in our backyard in the summer. When it was really hot we'd turn on the sprinkler for a few minutes too cool off. They loved it, especially with homemade popsicles too!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the link up!

Anonymous said...

It's important to remember that most cities, including my city of Portland, are actually only banning the primary bags used in grocery stores, not ALL plastic bags like produce bags, non-grocery plastic bags (i.e, other types of retailers like The Gap etc), etc.

So while it's a step in the right direction, most are not completely eliminating plastic bags unfortunately and more work needs to be done!

ddu said...

I stopped at the park in Montreat last Friday on the way home from the Folk School in Brasstown. My kids and I have lots of happy memories from that burbling creek -- we're like pilgrims drawn to a place of holiness.

Love your little Jedi's shirt. How old is that vintage tee? Best wishes.

firstfallen said...

A South African food feast! Awesome. Is your veterinarian friend South African? As a "Saffer" myself I can speak for the deliciousness of our food. I look forward to a review :).

Lisa Coffee said...

Boulder is also considering this measure on banning bags. My market no longer distributes any bags and if you forget yours they give you an old produce box. Loving this shift.

sofa Beds said...

Hello
Small Measure
Appreciation for the post, It is a great pleasure for me to visit your blog and to enjoy your excellent posts here

Unknown said...

I am an avid gardener, beekeeper and huge fan of this blog and your books. Yet I wanted to present a different POV to the LA (and other cities) plastic bag ban. Thanks.

http://reason.com/archives/2012/05/23/plastic-bag-ban-will-put-los-angeles-in