Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Reading Is Fun!



















For those of you who may not know, my husband Glenn plays Scrabble competitively. It's rather cutthroat, albeit it civil, from what I gather. Each Sunday, we kiss and part ways, he to spend the next 4 hours huddled over a Scrabble board at a big box book retailer, me to make a cake, scratch the dog, take out the compost.

This past Sunday, he returned bearing gifts. Unsolicited gifts. Not-my-birthday-or-Christmas gifts. He's like that. The generous gifter. In any event, amongst the book store gifts he festooned me with was a copy of "Gorgeously Green" by Sophie Uliano. I'm no stranger to the craft of greening home and body and community, but this book, well, it's got it going on. 

Covering everything from beauty to health to transport, food, travel, even appliances, "Gorgeously Green" is THE definitive tome for ladies who want to have, as she puts it, "one Jimmy Choo on the pavement, the other in the soil." Not that I wear Jimmy Choos, or ever aspire to (last shoe purchase was work boots!); not that I get manicures, or ever aspire to (my nails can generally be found with dirt underneath of them, thank you very much); not that I need glamour on a regular basis (although I did work on my chicken book wearing high heels at home last week because, well, I blame Sheila E.). 

Despite all the "not that's," this book provides an abundance of valuable information. If you're already a dyed in the wool "Gorgeously Green" lady, then get this book for your friends. It's powerful. If you still need convincing, consider that the author got Oprah and Julia Roberts to espouse vermiculture, complete with visibly slithering worms, on Oprah's show. 'Nuf said. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and perhaps the author could write you a back-cover worthy review excerpt when your books are available.

speaking of good books, i just got back from the bookstore and spotted a number of goodies that had your name written all over them. even i was tempted by the brand new "1001 foods you must taste before you die", a foodie's delirious wish list.