Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Yes They Did!

Here's a schematic of the new First Garden. Is it just me, or is it ginormous? I am SO inspired! For great tips on starting up a kitchen garden of your own (albeit on perhaps a slightly more modest scale), check out Kitchen Gardeners International. Their motto is "Promoting the 'localest' food of all, globally." Now, perhaps the Obamas will get some chickens, Michelle will read my book, invite Glenn and I over for dinner, and we'll all play with the girls and the First dog, pick sugar snap peas, and tell the President jokes of staggering hilarity and genius. 

*Small Measure: Eat a rainbow of colors at each meal. I realize that while this isn't always achievable, it's definitely goal-worthy. Different foods pack in different nutrients and eating a variety of hues at each meal goes far in offering an assortment of essential vitamins, nutrients, antioxidants, and phytonutrients. Plus, they make meals more visually arresting, and I think we could all use a bit more visual arrestment in our lives, no?

*Image from farmfed.com

5 comments:

nicole said...

This is such a visible, accessible way to convey the importance of foodways to the public. I'm interested to see how this administration follows through in the Obama's interest in these topics.

P. said...

I definitely think they should invite you to the White House as "Chicken Consultant."

sk said...

I love that their garden is so close to the street! It must be easy to see from the fence, which is just so cool.

And, gosh those little girls would be cute with some chickens! I'll keep my fingers crossed for them.

Anonymous said...

Let's hear it for the first Lady!!!! Trip to the White House,sounds like a PLAN to me!!! Can Mom come?

Emily said...

It's really refreshing to see new gardens being planted at the White House. If they get a chicken coop, you really should send a copy of your book to the pres and first lady. Maybe you could convince them to take up bee keeping next!