Thursday, April 2, 2009

Start Me Up

I've begun sowing seeds like my life depended on it. I'm really hoping to grow most of our own produce this year. 
With finishing up the last book, I got a little behind on starting seeds, but I'm steadily catching up. I absolutely adore the process of sowing seeds. To witness the latent life inside a tiny seed is such an inspiring metaphor to consider.
These shelves (sorry for the quality of the photo-it's a dark corner and it has been raining outside today) will hold everything from culinary & medicinal flowers, to cut flowers, and, of course, many varieties of vegetables. The dangle-y things on the far right are asparagus crowns, which will be put in as soon as it stops raining (they'll take 2 years of uninterrupted growth before harvest, though, so planting them will be a lesson in patience). 
I've been especially interested in heirloom and unusual seed varieties, in order to diversify the selections that we're so often limited to when shopping for produce in large supermarkets, even natural food ones. 
I've got another batch to sow this weekend, and then one more round after that. Otherwise, I've got a good bit of seeds to sow directly in April and then another batch to sow once it warms up a bit more, in mid-May. 
Are you growing anything this year, even if it's just a pot of parsley on a windowsill? Seed starting is pretty popular these days. Check out this article from the New York Times. 

*Small Measure: Grow something! It needn't be grandiose or even abundant. Start small if all you have is a windowsill. I once grew beans and tomatoes inside a 3rd floor apartment from the light provided by a skylight. Growing something yourself obviously shortens the transit necessary for foods to reach the table, but it also presents opportunities for eating foods at their peak of ripeness. Growing foods also forces you to slow down. Healthy growth takes time, patience, and love. 

7 comments:

Siân said...

Long-time lurker-I love your blog!

I only have a small backyard, but I have most herbs in pots (including my pride and joy Bay tree!), three raspberry canes, a gooseberry bush (which might have died...) and I grew courgettes last year. Yesterday I sowed some sage, fennel, rocket and parsley. I don't always have a success but when I do it makes it all worthwhile! Sowing from seed is so much cheaper too. I have also started a Bokashi bin which I'm waiting on the results-which will hopefully reduce my need for bought-in soil.

nicole said...

You've been busy! I'm not doing any indoor seed sowing this year, but I have already started planting some things in the garden: carrots, radishes, lettuce, sugar snap peas. I'll be planting bush beans and okra once the last frost has past. Looking forward to warmer weather and putting tomato, zucchini, and basil starts in the dirt.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is quite an undertaking. I hope that they all come out. This really makes me feel like I should start planting something instead of just being lazy.

P. said...

That's IT - I'M COMING OVER AND I'M NEVER LEAVING!

ashley english said...

Siån, welcome! Sounds like you are clearly already onboard with growing your own foods. Kudos to you! And the Bokashi bin is such a fabulous addition to your food sustainability endeavors. Best of luck to you and look forward to hearing from you again!

P., I've got a plot of Earth with your name on it. Anytime, sister, anytime.

Anonymous said...

Sowing seeds sounds so great. It means new beginnings, new life, the ability to create! It gives you great power to see something birth, learn to be patient and wait.It instills hope and causes maturity!! Way to go girl!!!!!!! Wishes of great success!!! MOM

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful! My little herb garden seems so.....well little.
Love every minute