Friday, September 3, 2010

Green-Up Your Bedroom

Hi everyone! My "Small Measures with Ashley" post is up over at Design Sponge. Today's topic discusses easy and quick tips for remodeling your bedroom with the environment in mind.

I'm off in just a few hours to meet up with my mom and grandmother to look for some maternity clothing. In truth, I loathe most of what is offered out there for us pregos. I find most of it either depressingly matronly, poorly made, or attempting to be flirty and sexy in a way that doesn't appeal to either my pregnant or non-pregnant self. I've been saying it for years, but I really should just make my own clothing line. Maybe that will be my next "Homemade Living" or "Small Measure" endeavor-sturdy, durable, fashionable, ecologically-minded women's fashions!

After that, it's over to my friends Meg and Alisa's place. Meg, currently a photographer but formerly a hair stylist, is going to give my locks a much needed trim in exchange for some canned goodies from my pantry. I love bartering with friends. We've all got our skills, it's just a matter of figuring out the best means of sharing them with one another! Later in the afternoon, our friends Josh and Denise (who you might remember from this post) are stopping by to take an unused filing cabinet and Dogloo off our hands (Denise can use the filing cabinet for her emerging cheese business while their dogs, Abbie and Brutus, can snuggle up in the Dogloo this winter while keeping a protective eye out over their herd of milking goats).

We don't yet have Saturday plans, but Sunday will serve as my last day at the Cake Shop before settling in for the next few weeks to attend to some freelance writing gigs. And then, of course, there's all that nesting to get out of the way before Nugget arrives on the scene!

Wherever your weekend takes you, may it be a glorious one!

*For all you locals planning on attending LAAFF this Sunday, stop by my girl Faryn Davis's Fernworks booth. She's crazy talented and I'd buy all of her pieces if I could. Instead, you should! Tell her I sent you!!!

*Image from All About You.

2 comments:

jugtownjane said...

One word: plastics. No, actually: Thai fishermens' (fisherman's? fishermans?) pants. A new discovery for the non-preggo me, which I wish I had discovered pre-preggo. Srsly, they are infinitely adjustable, chic in my upper-Catskills environs, and cheap. Ethaibid is a good source.

Elizabeth Maxson said...

Even though I am not pregnant and haven't needed maternity clothes before, I am soooo glad to know that someone else out there feels the same way as I do about clothes in general!!! I don't know how old you are, but I am "middle age" but have the energy of a 23 year old, but don't want to dress like one. But I don't want to dress like a carpooling mom, even though I am not a mom, nor do I carpool since I work for myself. Like you, I have thought many, many times about starting my own line, only to usually taking what I find, and gathering it somewhere and pinning it with a brooch or tying a ribbon somewhere and call it a day. I design bedding (and baby bedding too) and I designed my wedding outfit as well, but that is about as wearable as I have gotten. But someone out there needs to design some clothes! I would order in a heartbeat!

Elizabeth