Saturday, April 30, 2011

Seasonal Pancakes


Oh, man. Where does the time go? My "Small Measures with Ashley" post is up over on Design Sponge. This week I'm offering suggestions for seasonal foods to go with pancakes, beginning with my "Strawberry, Rhubarb & Orange Maple Compote." And, just so you know, this stuff is great on top of more than just pancakes. Pair it with some yogurt, or put it on some pound cake, or snuggle it in with some vanilla ice cream. Tastes just like spring should taste.

It's official. Huxley has caught his first cough. We're hoping that's all it is. A cough. And that it stays that way. But the coughing makes for a restless baby at night, which makes for a sleepless Mama at night, given that we bed-share. It's so sad to see the poor fella cough! His cough also makes him a wee bit needy. As such, I've barely been able to put him down today, because although there are play yards and nice swings and bouncy chairs on hand, it's in Mama's arms he most wants to be.

We went to the annual Asheville Herb Festival yesterday, one of the highlights of my year. It's amazing to see all of that growth and life and green vitality everywhere. And the happiness it brings is pervasive. Everywhere you turn are smiling faces (well, even more so when you've got a little dude on hand).

Huxley has taken to what I call "singing" lately, talking in a very high-pitched sing-song voice, which is what he was doing when I snapped the photo above. It's adorable. We often sing along, duet-style. He sang for a good bit at the festival, until he got squirmy and insisted on being held. We used the stroller instead to carry our haul!

If Huxley (and I) feel up to it tomorrow, we're going to check out this festival tomorrow, which promises to be a good time. Otherwise, I've got loads of writing to do, planting to do, tending to about a million things to do. The weather looks glorious, though, so whether in town or chez English, I'm happy.

Wherever you go, whatever you do, may it be grand!

4 comments:

amanda said...

Oh, I know those 'up-all-night-babe-can't-blow-their-nose-or-stop-coughing' nights are ROUGH. My little lady had her first go round with a cold a couple months back and I very clearly remember those nights spent holding her so she could sleep and getting very little myself. Of course, as a cosleeping mom, I'm always bordering on the lines of sleep deprivation, but it's a choice we make, right?

LOVE the herb festival, though sadly not making it this year~ I look forward to trying out some berries on my pancakes, though! Thanks for the inspiration~

jen said...

I'm sad we're not going to be in town for Big Love. My brother is playing (Kovacs & the Polar Bear) - hope you get a chance to check them out!

Huxley is looking mighty cute and grown up these days :)

Happy Sunday

Anonymous said...

New to your blog through blogs I've read for years (Soule Mama and Design Sponge)-don't know how I missed it since I live in Asheville, too. :) Such a small, small world...

Angela said...

Hey Ashley! A friend of mine loves using an Ellaroo baby sling to get work done around the house...maybe that's something you could use, so Huxley could be close to you while he's not feeling well...and you still have your hands free to make yummy pancakes!