Friday, October 9, 2009

Pick A Winner

My post on the amazing joy made possible through U-Pick farms is up over at Design Sponge. This time next week, I'll most likely be knee-high in a bushel or two (or 10!) of apples, courtesy of nearby U-Pick farm Sky Top Orchard. Nicole  and I will be gathering up many, many sweet orbs in preparation for a marathon apple butter canning session at her place next Saturday. We've been commissioned with making 150 4 ounce jars of the stuff. In case you missed it, that's ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY jars of apple butter. There will be much sweating. There will be much stirring. There might even be, admittedly, some swearing. But there will also be much giggling and revelry. Hijinks and shenanigans are all but guaranteed. Most importantly, however, there will be apple cider donuts. While not usually a friend of fried, for apple cider donuts, I make allowances when the time and situation call for it. Duty before honor, right? I'll document and report back. 

What's on your agenda this weekend? May it be fall-kissed and lovely! 

*Image from Anna Wolf

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it sounds like your up for some hard work....and fun. My weekend plans? Hauling more fire wood and curling up with a heating pad at night.he he.

Have a good time! Jenn

KDilley said...

One of the worst things about moving to California from NJ is missing the apple cider donuts. Reading your post made me feel like I caught a glimpse of a unicorn.

nicole said...

I know our apple adventure is going to be a lot of work, but I am so looking forward to it. It's a lovely way to embrace what Autumn has to offer. Funny how it would take this project to encourage me to fully take advantage of our rich local resources. It's really helped me open me eyes to so many things, as I hope your books will do to others.

Renai said...

I am so envious! Living in the city I have very few friends who would be willing to go apple picking and then come home and can with me!

I'm hoping to make and freeze a ton of roasted tomato sauce, bake triple ginger cookies, and pick and pickle our jalapeƱos before the cold really hits!

Maria said...

Yum!! I just went out there this Tuesday! It's such a fun place. I've made 12 half pints of Caramel Apple Butter, and have loads of apples left for apple sauce and other appley goodies!
Have fun with your canning!

EcoGrrl said...

good god woman, apple cider donuts? recipe must be posted pronto! here in portland we have the Fruit Tree Project where people with way too much for their own good open up their trees to this nonprofit to pick their apples, pears, plums, etc. Half goes to the Oregon Food Bank and half goes to the volunteers. Guess who's getting a TON of apples next weekend :)

ashley english said...

EcoGrrl-I won't be making the donuts myself; they have them at the orchard, along with fresh pressed cider and other assorted and sundry deliciousness. That's part of the appeal for me....

AlizaEss said...

Lovely photo! And I am curious who commissions 150 jars of applesauce?

I found out about your site through Chris from Lark Books and Jenna of Cold Antler Farm. I'm glad I did!

Jody M said...

Ripping the roof of the garage, then canning some sliced apples.

ashley english said...

The 150 jars of apple butter are for the sales staff of my publisher, in an effort at promotion. Conquering hearts, minds, tastebuds, and sales preferences right here!