Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Kindness of Strangers




I've met a good deal of wonderful people through this blog. A handful of them have gone on to become trusted friends and confidants. I've come to know the regulars, sort of like an online version of "Cheers", looking forward to their comments and smiling to myself when they drop by.

Cyn of River Dog Prints has proven to be not just a regular reader but a gracious bestower of gifts, as well. Back in the fall, she sent me a lovely package of canning labels. After a brief q&a a few weeks ago about what I feel is missing in the world of canning labels, the goodies pictured above showed up in my mailbox last week. She was at it again, making gorgeous labels and tags in a variety of colors, graphic prints, and sizes. Now both my large and small lids can be properly tricked out, with ample room left on top for writing in pertinent information such as what's inside and when it was made.

One of my greatest pleasures derived from penning "small measure" has been the opportunity to meet and connect with people I might never otherwise have had the fortune of meeting. Cyn is one such person. I'm incredibly grateful for your continued, and consistent, patronage. Many, many thanks!

8 comments:

CallieK said...

I dropped into my local bookstore here in Toronto today and the first thing greeting me on the shelf was your canning book! I was so surprised because it is a small independent store and I usually have a hard time finding books here that are not best sellers and/or mainstream publishers unless they are Canadian authors. I put in an order for Keeping Chickens- it will probably take a month or two but I'm excited!

Jen said...

Oooh, lovely! I dislike the standard stickers that come with the jars--these are really cute.

Megan said...

I absolutely love those canning labels! I just started canning last year and I've been so disappointed trying to find cute but useful labels for my jars. I'd buy those in a heartbeat.

spike said...

Those labels look wonderful. What a nice gift!

Ashley, I just purchased your books and I have to say they are just what I needed. I took a canning class with the local Ag Extension last year. Your book is a great compliment. Now for Chickens!
As a designer, I am loving the look and feel of the books too. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Cyn said...

Thanks Ashley! I was just in the middle of a cruddy day and this cheered me right up.

And thanks so much for your help in the creation of the tags and labels. Happy to be a small part of your delicious homemade gifts!

Tricia said...

That is something that keeps surprising and delighting me as well--really one of the best things about having an "online community". I never would have expected it, but I am glad it has happened! Congrats on your canning book! It's beautiful :)

ErikaKay said...

This is beautiful!

Curiosity Cottage said...

Ashley,

I bought your book last night "Raising Chickens" and WOW, what a God Wink!!! It is so amazing to me the number of women that have turned blogs into incredible business endeavors!! My first post on my blog CuriosityCottage.blogspot.com explains "God Winks." I look so forward to following your blog and to raising my own chickens!!

Jen