Friday, June 18, 2010

One Door Closes...





This week marked the end of an era. We wrapped up photography for the fourth book in my "Homemade Living" series, "Keeping Bees." That means that I've officially toiled (lovingly, of course) through four books in just under two years. Researched, assimilated, experimented with, propped, photographed, edited, copyedited, proofread, and fretted over four books. And now, it's done. Hear that, eye twitch? You can stop your jumpiness now-or, at least, you can take a breather until Nugget arrives in early November.

It's wild to think that, from concept to completion, my team at Lark Books and I have pulled this off. It's been an extraordinary gift, not just in terms of finding work doing something that I love, but one that has allowed me to discover and flourish in something that excites, inspires, and compels me to keep learning, keep growing, keep reaching out to the wider community to find solutions for living a more sustainable, homemade life.

I've got ideas galore for more titles in the series. We're waiting to see how the first two do, though, before signing on for more. In the meantime, I'll flip through the completed books, smile and marvel at what a committed collective of individuals can achieve, and feel grateful for all that is and all that's coming. Oh, and get ready for the other door, into motherhood, that's opening wide in a mere 4 1/2 months!!!

15 comments:

nicole said...

Such an honor to work on these books with you. They are truly a gift to the world.

Emily said...

Congratulations! The breather is well deserved. Time to focus just on Nugget!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the *major* accomplishment! I love Canning & Preserving and Keeping Chickens; I'm sure the others will be equally wonderful :-)

Now put your feet up for a bit - you deserve it! :-D

Kate @ HipGirls said...

Big congrats on all you've accomplished (including Mr. Nugget!)

That must be such an amazing feeling. Can't wait to see the next two!

Tony R. said...

I still cannot get over the quality of photographs in your books. I love seeing the ones you post one your site and I can't wait to get your new book.
Please keep up the great work!

Gini said...

Two years!! That's incredible-- congratulations!

tigress said...

congrats ashley on all you've accomplished. you are an inspiration!! :)

Erin said...

LOVE your books so far. Can't wait to see the next two (and hopefully more)!

Sarah said...

I love the canning book! I so wish I could keep bees (and chickens). Some day :)

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! That is something to celebrate.

Jen said...

I saw Canning and Preserving at the local library the other day! It's great to see your work out and about.

Matt_Middleton said...

I bought both, and loved them! Can't wait to see the next two :D

Elle Ross said...

Congrats on the books and the babe!

What Possessed Me said...

Congratulations, my dear! What an incredible feat. xo

alexis said...

congrats on your amazing accomplishments! I'm looking forward to adding your series to my bookshelf very soon!