Friday, June 11, 2010

The Perfect Remedy



I've been a devoted fan of Kelly Carambula's eatmakeread for well over a year now. Her blog is full of delicious, creative recipes, all beautifully photographed and attentively styled (I especially like her playful use of polka dots). When she mentioned several months ago that she, along with her husband and two close friends, were launching a food-based quarterly periodical, I immediately knew that whatever they produced would be top tier.

Remedy Quarterly ("Stories of Food, Recipes For Feeling Good") is their combined literary effort and boy, is it ever golden. Each issue is based around a specific theme-issue #1 was "Home" while issue #2 focuses on "Cravings." Over the winter, Kelly wrote and asked if I might be interested in contributing an article and recipe for the second issue. I opted to write about my love of fleeting things, especially foods, and specifically kumquats. Shining orbs of hope and promise come winter, I adore kumquats. In the article, I provide the recipe for my "Kumquat Marmalade", excerpted from my book "Canning & Preserving."

I highly recommend Remedy Quarterly for those looking for stories behind food, for the person behind the whisk, the farmer behind the broccoli rabe. They're always there, of course, lurking in the pantry or in the utensil drawer. This periodical brings them to life, with a rotating roster of writers chomping at the bit to share their culinary wit, wisdom, and deliciousness with you.

6 comments:

Tony R. said...

Seems like a good little magazine, thanks for sharing it.

ps, our chickens are finally roosting in their coop! We waited until they fell asleep and then we would open the coop and move them to the perch. We only had to do this twice before they all caught on.

alexis said...

sounds like a wonderful magazine to curl up with on a sunday morning... thanks!

Wendy (The Local Cook) said...

thanks for introducing me to a new blog!

kelly said...

thanks ashley! so happy to have you as a contributor!

Renai said...

My mom got me a subscription for my birthday this year, and I loved your piece on kumquats! It's such a charming little publication.

Anonymous said...

Looks like some excellent work - I'll definitely be keeping my eyes out for this one.