Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Gifts Gone "Wild"

Last week I received an e-mail from Susan over at BlaBla Kids, saying she'd love to send Huxley a gift. I was unfamiliar with the brand, so I took a minute to check out their website. I've been contacted many times in the past by companies interested in sending me their products, and, typically, I thank them for their interest and politely turn them down. BlaBla was an exception, however, and one I'm willing to make for any small enterprise working towards ethical production of goods that resonates with me.

Based out of Atlanta, BlaBla's entire collection, including those adorable dolls (named "Bandit"-the raccoon-"McNuttie"-the squirrel-and "Wink"-the owl), is designed by Florence Wetterwald and handcrafted by Peruvian artisans using cotton and other fibers grown in Peru. Florence and her staff maintain a close relationship with their Peruvian production team, ensuring each other's mutual satisfaction and continued ethical livelihood.

As you can see from their site, BlaBla's products are creative, colorful, whimsical, playful, and very well made. Naturally, it was impossible for me to choose anything, so I wrote back, thanking them for their generous offer and simply mentioning that Huxley's nursery had a "Forest" theme, to reflect the setting of our home (as well as his middle name, "Wild", which, friends, let me tell you, he is; oh is he EVER! He already literally "ROARS!!!" to get our attention). I hardly expected the immensely generous package of goodies that arrived yesterday. Along with the dolls, Susan set the hat and booties Huxley is wearing above, as well as the adorable sweater and pants, which he'll fit into around 12 months of age (next October; the timing is perfect for such an outfit!).

Thank you Susan, Florence, and everyone at BlaBla. I am beyond appreciative for the items you sent Huxley. Furthermore, I'm so very grateful for businesses such as yours, working towards offering ethical, fulfilling livelihoods for all of those involved in the items you offer. It's a business model to be both lauded and emulated.

9 comments:

jess s said...

That's so cute I am actually dying of cuteness over here. It's nice to see cute kid stuff from a company you don't feel crappy buying from.

Lisa Peteet said...

Love blabla! They're always my go-to for baby gifts and showers. Awesome you got some generous gift samples.

elisa said...

oh my goodness, so sweet. what a gorgeous present! nice pictures too! great simple quilt, i like it! x

Kimberlie Ott said...

Your son is going to have hours of fun play with those adoreable soft toys............they are lovely! Thank you for the ad, I had never heard of them before as I am in Oregon. They will be perfect for our new grandaughter :) Huxley is a doll!!

jen said...

love those dolls! i don't even have kids yet and I'm dying for one. i like having a resource for children's gifts that aren't all made in china!

Anna said...

I love blabla. Not only are they totally cute, they are made from soft and lovely yarn, perfect for cuddling.

nicole said...

love the shot with the dolls. cute cute cute.

Alison said...

I would love to make dolls like that out of some old sweaters...hmmm...

Genevieve Mama Natural said...

Oh my goodness, Huxley is adorable and the whole blabla look fits him to a "t"!