Friday, February 18, 2011

Window Cold Frames

Happy Friday, all! My "Small Measures with Ashley" post is up on Design Sponge. This week I discuss making a cold frame for spring plants using old windows.

I'm super pleased with how ours turned out and can't wait to get busy filling 'er up with seedlings. I'm looking at the Baker Creek Heirloom Seed catalogue as I type. What a temptress! That catalogue could put me in the poorhouse if I ordered everything from it that catches my eye!

The weather has been amazing here the past few days and this weekend promises more of the same. Daffodils are starting to pop up all around our property, the birds are chirping like they've got all sorts of winter grievances to air, the frogs in our pond just started croaking today, and both of my beehives are seriously abuzz. Huxley and I just returned from a walk down our driveway to retrieve the mail and I could literally smell spring in the air.

Have a fabulous weekend, wherever it takes you!

5 comments:

Kimberlie Ott said...

I love your coldframe, my dad promised me two thrifted framed windows and I would love to try what you made :) thank you.....for now, I did succumb to the Baker seed catalog, love them.....and used your clothes rack idea in my large kitchen window, and just placed trays on them of starts, instead of laundry, I have 450 plus babies already sprouting :) I am so stoked! Thank you for all the positives you put out here, love your site!

Jennifer said...

ah the smell of spring!

I've succumbed to a few heirloom seed catalogues this year, but I am hoping to start seed saving so next year I won't have to buy as much.

EcoGrrl said...

now if only i had money to replace my old '25 windows and use them for this - so cute!

Charlene said...

LLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOve Baker Creek! Great idea!

Green Zebra Market Garden said...

I used to some windows to make a cold frame last year. It worked out really well for a while. Two of the three windows cracked fairly quickly. One of the broken windows had blood smeared all over, so I think a bird may have flown into it!

Just be careful to vent your cold frame when needed. Mine got really really hot when the sun was out.