Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Around & About the House

Have you noticed how much longer the days are getting? We don't lock up the chickens until close to 9 o'clock these days! I find myself thinking lately about something that recently happened and then realizing that, wait, that happened only earlier today!

Some slow-growing, slow-moving scenes chez English. A lovely fig tree Mother's Day gift from Hubs (I have BIG plans for a fruit & nut orchard on the 1 1/2 acre down the hill from the house that we refer to as "the lower field"-it's where we were married!). Buds on the lavender bushes that flank the arbor in front of the house. Abundant wineberry canes and green grass 'a plenty. Strawberry hanging baskets (we have 5 attached to the house). Cats and dogs and Crocs and coleus to welcome you.

I've been asked lately for details about the current book I'm working on. While I've been expressly asked by my lovely editor (and buddy) Nicole to keep mum on the specifics, suffice to say: 1) It's not part of the "Homemade Living" series (although I hope there are more of those on the horizon!), and 2) It's about food, my abiding passion. Oh, and, 3) You'll love it. I wish I could tell you more! I promise to, soon as I get the green light.

Enjoy these lengthy stretches of golden sunlight!!! Or rain, if that's your lot, because, really, rain is the spoonful of sugar that makes the medicine go down, you know?

7 comments:

Morgan G said...

Gorgeous, Ashley. Look at all that greeeeen. And, yes, I am loving these long, long days.

Cindy said...

Love your photos! This far north, we're getting to the point that I'm ready to go to bed before the chickens are ready to go in.

wishful nals said...

so pretty & great advice to enjoy it. i cannot wait to start gardening. we've had a pretty wet spring, but i think the sun is on its way!

Molly said...

it all looks lovely!

6512 and growing said...

Our chickens are staying up later than us lately!
Such a lovely, lovely season.

amanda said...

oh I bet those figs are from the same place the two I have are from....

nice guy that grows figs and peonies? Wildcat Ridge Farms? My husband and I brought along our (then 4 month old) girl on a lil' field trip out there last May and came home with 2 trees and a handful of gorgeous peonies. Said trees are still in their pots, getting ready to be placed in the ground very soon. There had been a storm and the tags had blown away from many of them and so one of ours simply says #7.

Been meaning to get out to that coffee cart and try that Bombay Blast you recommended.... looks beyond delicious!

Tony R said...

I would love to see you write a book about herbs, teas, and natural home remedy. Maybe even cover soaps, lotions, shampoos, and creams.

Thanks for all your great books :)