Sunday, May 15, 2011

Relish & Pickles & Being In A Pickle

Friends! How is it already Sunday?! I swear, ever since Huxley got sick, I feel like I've been playing catch-up, and losing.

That said, I think things are starting to turn around. Our amazing friends Eli (Asheville people, do yourself a favor and go visit his coffee cart, Ursa Minor; tell him I sent ya-and get the Bombay Blast-AMAZING!) and Faryn and their almost two year-old son, Milo (who plays the ukelele!) came over yesterday and helped us put all of our summer garden crops in. I can't truly begin to tell you how very appreciative I am for that.

Afterwards, Hubs cooked up some burgers with Hickory Nut Gap Farms beef and russet & sweet potato rosemary home fries. We swilled hard cider and Tibetan ale and N.C. stout and homemade cranberry/lemon/lemon balm-ade and enjoyed a glorious springtime mountain evening.

Also, my little sister is visiting. This same little sister, who just completed her sophomore year at Notre Dame University, will be headed to study Art History in Rome this coming August-December. How cool is that? It's wild; I remember with absolute clarity the day she was born, and now she's all grown up and going off to the Eternal City! She helped me plant a mess of herbs yesterday. After that planting, we now have, chez English, the following medicinal and culinary herbs: rosemary, spearmint, chocolate mint, sage (3 types), marjoram, thyme (2 types), parsley, lemon verbena, comfrey, cilantro, tarragon, yarrow, chamomile, lavender, basil, echinacea, lemon balm, and dill.

Oh, and my "Small Measures with Ashley" is up over on Design Sponge. This week I'm offering up recipes for an onion relish and a quick green onion refrigerator pickle.

Wherever you are, whatever you do today, may it be grand! And I'll be back soon with that giveaway!

4 comments:

KT @ KT's Refinishing School said...

Sounds like a great weekend!

My sister is a sophomore at Notre Dame too and will be heading to Rome for a year in September to study architecture there--small world!

Alison said...

I wish I were headed back to Rome for a bit.

Any chance we can see a video of the babe who plays the ukulele?

Dana said...

Just curious what do you use the chocolate mint for?
I have grown it but just end up pulling leaves and enjoy the fragrance!

ashley english said...

dana-i mince it and scatter it over ice cream, whipped cream, or diced fresh fruit. yum!