Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Check Your Head (Cold)

Hi friends! I hope your holiday weekend was filled with everyone and everything that you love. Ours certainly was. We stopped by our favorite children's consignment store on Friday and picked up a few things for Huxley, including a wooden stove (with cabinets! for squirreling things away in!), a wooden rocking horse, a wooden tool box, a wooden puzzle, and some great clothes on clearance. Along with some fabulous gifts from my mother and grandmother, he was in heaven come Christmas day. 

For Hubs, I picked out a pair of these boots, to use as muck boots for when he's in the chicken coop or working in the garden. I also bought him copies of these two books, good reads he'd been wanting to check out. Finally, I registered him for a beginning ceramic class, which runs 6 weeks and begins next Tuesday. Always a great gifter, he festooned me with a few pieces of jewelry from one of my favorite designers, a sturdy yet chic tote, a functional yet fashionable hoodie (with black toggle buttons, my favorite!) and a lamp I'd had my eye on. 

We had friends over for a feast of feasts, featuring all-natural N.C. ham, corn pudding, collards from our garden, double cheddar biscuits, our friend's incredible rosemary roasted root vegetable puree, and my healthy spin on the southern classic fruit salad dish "ambrosia" (fresh pineapple, fresh apples, fresh clementines, toasted pecans, all-natural maraschino cherries, and organic sour cream). Dessert was homemade coconut custard pie with vanilla bean whipped cream topping, washed down with proseco. Like I said, an epic feast. 

Today, though, I'm holed up on the couch, in my flannel p.j.'s (yes, I prefer the color palette of men's pajamas; no pink for this lady), nursing a head cold. Never one to take sickness easily, I've already been pounding pots of this tea, have gargled with warm salt water, taken several rounds of elderberry syrup, languished in a bath using my mustard powder blend, and rubbed this phenomenal vapor rub on my chest. I'm already feeling back in the saddle. 

What about you? What do you do when the yucks come 'a knocking? I'd love to hear of your healing tips and go-to solutions. Otherwise, here's wishing you and yours a week of wellness!


10 comments:

Anna said...

Glad you had a nice weekend, I hope you feel better! I often suffer from sore throats and love making a tea of hot water, lemon juice, ginger and honey. The longer it steeps, the more gingery it tastes.

elaine said...

SOunds like you had a lovely holiday! I definitely do the elderberry syrup when we are sick and even when we are not, just a spoonful or more in a cup of hot water makes a nice tea. Ginger, lemon, honey also makes a good tea and my tried and true remedy is a spoonful of crushed garlic slathered in honey! and lots of oranges. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, Last Child in the Woods is an excellent read. I was lucky enough to read it a few years ago as an advanced copy before it was published, and it is thought provoking indeed. Sounds like you all had a merry Christmas indeed!

petoskystone said...

I,also, have little use for pink...unless it's on a peony or a stalk of rhubarb!

EcoGrrl said...

OK girl I think this is your second Beastie Boys play on words at least :)))) (love it!).

In my world it's water-water-water to flush out the baddies, and for me I'm lucky to be able to work from home if I'm sick - seriously taking the day off the DAY you feel you're getting sick can prevent passing it to everyone you work with, and help you get better faster - nip in the bud!

Also big fan of Lysine supplements along with vitamin C, esp for those nasty cold sores (one every 2 hrs the minute you feel a hint of one will usually keep it from becoming a full fledged 'face wound' haha)

Cat K. said...

I was right there with you this time last week! This time we made hot toddies a couple of nights in a row for the sore throat--which was awesome. I've been a little wary of my neti pot since those stories about the people with the brain-eating amoebas, but I'll just have to get some distilled water and keep going. I am curious about Elaine's garlic and honey, though...

Jenny said...

Like EcoGrrl wrote, your nod to The Beatie Boys is fantastic. The description of your epic feast had my tummy a rumblin'. Yummers! My husband and I have a fresh,organic juice bar in the River Arts District, so fresh juice is definitely our go to cure all. If you come in to Asheville in the near future, stop by. We would love to treat you. Cheers!

Molle said...

So sorry you're sick! We had it last week. The two secret weapons I make when we're sick are elderberry syrup and an echinacea, pau d'arco, goldenseal tincture. And lots of rest.

Hope you feel better soon :)

petoskystone said...

Yea! The book 'Farm Anatomy' came in yesterday. Wonderful :)

kv barn said...

homemade chicken noodle soup with lots of onion and garlic :) and also french onion soup! hope you are better already!