Sunday, February 12, 2012

Flower Power

I adore a long soak in a hot bath. Add a page-turning novel or an inspiring magazine and I could easily soak for just shy of an hour, topping up on hot water as needed. Since becoming a mom, though, the reality is that my soaks are both fewer and shorter than ever. Accordingly, I treasure those "take me away" moments like nobody's business.

Which is why I whipped up a container of bath salts the other day. I tweaked my original recipe, substituting sandalwood oil for geranium and adding in dried flowers. Having a jar of herbal salts always at the ready, placed bath-side, means that, once Huxley is out for a long nap or down for the night, Mama can get her soak on. Oh. yes.

These are ridiculously easy to make. Aside from the initial cost of purchasing the essential oils, they're also incredibly thrifty to craft. They make a great anytime (or Valentine's Day!) gift for friends, family, colleagues and anyone needing a little TLC. Such as yourself, or myself! I added in dried lavender buds and rose petals sourced and dried from our property. Most natural foods stores will have both items available in their bulk herbs and spices sections.

Flower Power Bath Salts
The Goods:
-2 1/2 c. epsom salt
-2 c. baking soda
-1 c. sea salt
-20 drops lavender essential oil
-20 drops rosewood essential oil
-20 drops sandalwood essential oil
-2 Tablespoons dried lavender buds
-2-3 Tablespoons dried rose petals

The Deal:
-Place everything except for lavender buds and rose petals into a food processor or blender.
-Process until mixture is uniform in size and texture.
-Transfer mixture to a medium sized mixing bowl. Add flowers and stir with a metal spoon until everything is fully combined.
-Store in covered jar until ready for use.
-When ready to use (or for gifting purposes), place about 1/4 cup into a small muslin bag (you can find these at natural food stores, often in either the body care or bulk tea sections). Secure the top of the bag and place into bath while it is filling. 

5 comments:

Harvest Kitchen Sisters said...

Those bath salts look amazing.

Might just have to whip some of those up for myself!

Thanks!

amelia from hks

Unknown said...

What a cool idea!

Dina Rosbeck said...

Love this! I wonder how it would be with lavender and mint leaves.....

Angela Watts said...

Oh yes....I definitely can get lost in the tub for an hour or two with a good book and a cup of tea....this sounds lovely. I keep meaning to craft up some more since I ran out of the last set a good friend made for me (she's an herbalist).

What Possessed Me said...

Absolutely need to get on this. Also: RIBS. God, girl. I just drooled.