Friday, February 3, 2012

What I'm Digging

Happy Friday, friends! Just finished up a photo shoot with the talented (and fun!) Naomi Johnson out here. She was getting my mug for the March/April cover (!!!) of Breathe magazine. The weather accommodated perfectly, with loads of sun and a near 60 degree temperature. Crazy to think that it's early February and I can comfortably be outdoors in a light cotton dress, but, hey, I'll take it!

Oh, and the bees are happy creatures, too! We shot some images around the hives and the foraging bees were coming in for landing laden with pollen. Yay! They're finding food somewhere out there!

Here's a round-up of things that made me smile, made me hungry, and made me think this week:
*Tim's orange walnut cake makes perfect use of winter citrus.
*Genevieve nails it (I'm guilty of saying a few of these things myself!).
*Diana Henry's newest book looks incredible.
*Make your own maple syrup!
*Shower caps as waste reducers-who knew?
*The annual Organic Grower's School is so much fun.
*Sloth love at its peak.
*Lemon+rosemary+tart=YES!
*Marisa's Blood Orange Shrub sounds divine.
*Been sipping on this tasty brew.

I'm headed out tomorrow to look at hunting weapons and gear with some of my fellow huntresses. I'll tell you more about that unfolding aspect of my life as it develops further. Then it's off to some hang time with my mom and grandmother.

Whatever you do, wherever you go, and whomever you do it with this weekend, may it be grand!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Are those Welsummers in the picture? So pretty! I just had to send mine to a friend's farm until I can convince my city to allow them and miss them greatly.

Alison said...

I am so in agreement about sloths (and having held one, I can say it definitely lived up to expectations). Also, thrilled about the tart. I have an abundance of rosemary and love all things lemon--so great to have a lemon tart recipe that's not too egg heavy. Thanks!

Ashley said...

The weather has been pleasantly crazy. 60's & 70's here in Arkansas. I have your chicken book and we just got our first banty pullets. They are so funny and my kids are crazy about them. Thanks for all the great information.

ashley english said...

Hi Jen!

Indeed, they are! We added 4 Welsummers to our flock this past Autumn, and then 3 Blue Wheaten Ameraucana pullets and 1 Blue Wheaten cockerel about 8 weeks ago. The Welsummers are laying these lovely speckled brown eggs and the Blue Wheatens will give us blue/green eggs!

Trail Pony Endurance said...

That video of Kristen Bell through the link 'Sloth Love' is unreal! Lol. Cute that she was so emotional, we've all been there! What a great birthday gift.

Dixie J said...

We tap and make our own maple syrup every year. It is a lot of work,(not physically hard work, but time consuming) but the results are amazing. We usually tap in March or April, but because of the strange winter we are having, we are actually thinking of starting to tap next week.

6512 and growing said...

sh@t natural mamas was awesome. thanks.