Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Chicken & Egg

This past winter, the lovely and talented photographer, blogger, and author Jen Altman came over to photograph my little family. The images were to accompany a piece I wrote, Chicken & Egg, for Kinfolk magazine. We simulated a spring day, as I donned a vintage madras shirt dress and we set about shooting outdoor images in the cove.

It was a great experience. Jen is an extremely confident photographer, holding the vision in her mind's eye of exactly the image she intends to capture, and then going for the jugular to seize it. I love her creative process, as well as the woman herself. She's a dream to work with, and a treasured friend, becoming even more so with each passing day. She's also mama to three exquisitely lovely daughters, wife to the equally kind and loving Denny, an accomplished cook and baker, and just a general righteous lady.

Today Jen is featuring me as a guest poster on her food blog, Nectar (be sure to check out Nectar & Light, her other blog, which is always full of incredible eye candy, personal musings, and all kinds of inspiration). My post features outtakes from our Kinfolk photo shoot, along with the recipe we created for my piece. Jen always posts a playlist with her recipes on Nectar, as music is an incredibly integral part of her life. She asked me to put together a playlist to go with my post. I'd never done that before but, man. I gotta say, I'm hooked. I might just go on a playlist bonanza now. It was SO easy to do.

Hope on over to Nectar for my Bacon, Collard & Parmesan Frittata recipe. And stick around her site for a spell. It's a beauty, packed with images and recipes that will have you walking away from your computer and into your kitchen to get down to business. 


5 comments:

Kalin said...

Those eggs are beautiful, especially the pale blue (at least that's how they appear on my computer). Someday I will wear my husband down and get my own chickens. I am nothing if not persistent.

Unknown said...

I love that magazine! The photographs are beautiful. I look forward to seeing you in there!

alexa said...

Thanks for the tip, Ashley. That blog, Nectar, is beautiful! I spent a good half hour there without even realizing the time.

jen a said...

It was so much fun working with you love - let's do it again ;) xoox

imparali said...

interesting post with yummy eggs, it must be a thrilling activity for you to have your chicken family.