Friday, March 2, 2012

What I'm Digging

Happy Friday, friends! We were a house under siege this week, chez English. Some sort of weird and sudden stomach bug hit us hard Wednesday evening. Yesterday saw lots of moaning, groaning, belly-holding, and general lying about in bed, waiting for the discomfort to end. Today is much better, thanks to peppermint tea, Oscillococinum, Reed's ginger brew and good old Alka-Seltzer. These rough tummy romps make me so thankful for all of the other days that are without stomach assault. 

Here's a smattering of this's and that's that piqued my interest this week:
 *I would really love to make it to the Heritage Harvest Festival this September (bonus: Joel Salatin!). 
*These winter salads all look divine.
*This essay on How We Eat is eye-opening, and inspiring.
*Meg Paska, who is profiled in Keeping Bees, is in this gorgeous video.
*Yes to more cottage industry foods!
*Make your own kombucha scoby.
*The Debutante Hunters stirred all kinds of emotions in me (thanks to Angela for clueing me in!).
*Every cookie I've baked from this book has turned out wonderful.
*Huxley has been requesting this song on repeat all week.
*Asheville finally has its own downtown food truck lot, including Suzi's incredible eats!

We're off on Sunday to the Organic Grower's School. Hubs and I plan to tag-team minding the tiny Englishman while each other attends classes. I'm going to Advanced Beekeeping and Preserving your Harvest with Lacto-Fermentation while he'll be checking out Real Life Forest Gardening & Farming and Effortless Edibles in the Landscape. SO excited!

Wherever you go this weekend, whatever you do, whomever you do it with, may it be grand!

6 comments:

SouthernGirl said...

I used the same tutorial for making your own kombucha scoby and IT WORKED! I couldn't believe it. I'm now on my second batch of homemade kombucha and am loving it!

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate that you linked the book to Indiebound and not Amazon! :)

Dixie said...

Once again, great links. Thank you for sharing! My husband and I will be hearing Joel Salatin speak in April and then again at the Mother Earth News Fair in Pennsylvania in September. Can' t wait.

Alison said...

If you get to the festival at Monticello, seek out Tom Burford. He is a national treasure when it comes to apples--anyone who loves hard cider needs to know him. He's a lovely man and a wealth of information especially about heirloom varieties and southern apples. Personality-wise he's the polar opposite of Salatin (Burford is quiet and humble) so he'd be easy to miss.

Apseed said...

I like your posts, it's so inspiring!

Marlo said...

Oh, I am so excited about the Heritage Harvest Festival. I'm already planning a trip down to C-Ville. Can't wait!