Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What Goes Around Comes Around




The life of a full-time stay-at-home writer living in a forest 15 miles from town can get a bit lonely at times. I have my sweet husband, whom I adore, and a host of pets to keep me company. Sometimes, though, I miss the random, unexpected, spontaneous interactions and connections with strangers that characterized my previous career as a medical assistant, or when I managed a B&B, or worked retail at a natural foods store. I miss the homemade hummus someone would bring into the office to share, or the quirky Brit who was lodging with her 82 year-old brother, or spotting Weird Al Yankovic and Downtown Julie Brown at my place of employment. I know, right? Who wouldn't miss THAT?

Imagine then, the untold delight I encounter meeting and connecting with new friends via this blog. Imagine what it feels like when those encounters become a bit closer; those encounters that are of the third kind where, you know, we make contact. So goes my connection to Cyn over at River Dog Prints. Cyn originally contacted me this past summer, to let me know she was cross-posting one of my Small Measure Can-Do contest giveaways. Though she didn't win that contest, she did score big on a later one, for my Fig & Thyme Jam

True lady of graciousness and talent that she is, Cyn kicked up the gratitude volume full-blast and mailed me not just a lovingly written thank you note (and there's no way she could know how much I like the color brown-she's in Connecticut, I'm here in N.C.), but she crafted the most fantastic labels for adoring home-canned goods! Thank you so very much, Cyn! What a treat! And what a perfect segue into the holiday that is all about gratitude and thankfulness and connecting sincerely and mindfully with those in our lives. 

Have a wonderful holiday everyone! I'm thankful for each and every one of you. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What wonderful ideas. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Cyn said...

Ashley's homemade creations are just THAT good! Thanks Ashley and Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Jenna Woginrich said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

EcoGrrl said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Through my writing I have met some really truly amazing individuals, ranging from readers to blog buddies to a few who have become genuine friends. Being a city girl, it's allowed me to connect with people living lives so different from mine yet still seeing how similar we are. Have a wonderful holiday and thank you for your many contributions!