Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Nugget Notions

With only 12 weeks to go until my pregnancy is considered "full term," I've started to think about getting Nugget's nursery ready in earnest. My mom and a close friend of hers are throwing us a baby shower on September 11th, which will be more of a ladies only, dainty affair, while Glenn and I will be hosting what I'm dubbing a "Nugget Warming" out here on the 25th. I like the idea of a big fire in the fire pit, lots of delicious food, and friends and family popping in to rub my belly and help us get ready to welcome our little squirmer (DOOD-he is SO squirmy!).

I've already been gathering up clothes and booties and cloth diapers (I think we're going to give G Diapers a whirl). My younger sister, Theo, also gifted me at the beach with a dark chocolate brown swaddling blanket that she'd crocheted (IN ONE DAY!) with organic cotton. I've picked up a moses basket and already know what crib we'll be getting. Now I'm starting to think about nursery decor. Clearly there's no rush, as "The Nug" (what my Pop would call him at the beach when I'd announce that Nugget had roused me out of bed in the morning with ravenous hunger) will be in our room for the first 3-4 months of his life. Still, I'm a planner and I'll be leaving the cake shop the beginning of next month to begin to hunker down, get some serious writing done on emerging projects, and just nest away until early November. What else am I going to do with all of that free time?

I've long been a fan of Olympia, Washington-based artist Nikki McClure. Her exacting paper prints have a Japanese woodblock feel to them, soothing and spartan and hauntingly beautiful all at once. I love the print above, entitled "Mother." As we've been considering a sort of "woodsy/nature" theme for the nursery anyway, I'm thinking some of her prints might be a nice addition. We've already got some mushroom statues and a mushroom wooden toy for him, so I could see her print working in seamlessly. While we live surrounded by a huge forest, I love the idea of the nursery feeling like a natural extension of the wild world outside the front door.

*Image from here.

13 comments:

Aaron said...

Do you know about tredup.com? Essential. I will be doing a full review on fatherfolk later this week. I think you must be right around the same stage as my wife, so exciting!
Aaron

Courtney said...

That's a really lovely print. I think a woodsy theme sounds absolutely perfect. Lucky, lucky Nugget!

EcoGrrl said...

girl you belong in the NW - gDiapers headquarters are right down the street from my house!

Aaron said...

sorry, thredup.com! Its a children's clothing exchange, not an automechanic.

sk said...

I love Nikki McClure too! I have a tote bag with that print and I adore it.

I think a woodland theme is perfect. I can't wait to see where you go with that!

Carrie said...

We tried g Diapers for a while. They are real nice, but after about a month the elastic on the liners started to weaken. We love our pocket diapers, we use Kawaii, Bum Genius, Haute Pocket, anf Fuzzi Bunz. I love that you can customize the level of absorbancy. Wenormally use natural fibers, mostly hemp and bamboo. Good luck on your cloth diapering adventure, it is so worth it!

Meredith said...

We also tried the G-Diapers. We were happy with them, mostly. As our son got a little older and started trying to crawl, they tended to leak a little.

Anna said...

Love your blog! And since you're on the subject of mushrooms, have you considered one of those fabulous mushroom nightlights? (German made, they're sold on the Kid-O website and other places, too). I'm thinking my 18 month old needs one!

Elle Ross said...

Can I just say you are totally my idol? Putting out cookbooks, blogging, baking, photography, and pregnant to boot!
I'm 24 weeks and I've just been as lazy as possible before little Clementine comes and I don't get to sleep anymore. Cheers to new life!

Anonymous said...

Just out of curiosity, what kind of crib are you going with? Is there an eco-friendly choice that you recommend?

Ashley English said...

We're thinking of going with this Ikea crib: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40118818. It's affordable, attractive, safe, and comes from renewable wood sources. While I'd love to have a handmade, locally-sourced wood crib built, we just can't swing it. I don't want to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on the crib, no matter how badly I'd like to be able to! We're planning on putting in an organic mattress, though. And, for the first few months, Nugget will be sleeping in a Moses basket on a rocker stand beside our bed, so that I can nurse him whenever he needs it without having to go upstairs to the nursery.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of nurseries, I just started reading your blog but I think Knock-Off Wood is right up your alley and they have some GREAT ideas for a nursery.
Changing tables:
http://www.knock-offwood.com/2010/04/plans-changing-table-for-scallopped.html Or
http://www.knock-offwood.com/2010/03/plans-scalloped-edge-changing-bridge.html
And them my favorite for a slightly older kid vvvv. The design is below, obviously, but I can't find the photo of it I really wanted to show. There's a photo of somebody who made it to look like a treehouse and had a decal of a tree 'growing' around it along the wall.
http://www.knock-offwood.com/2009/12/plan-playhouse-loft-bed.html

Kate said...

Nikki love! That's awesome. I live in Oly and her work is all over the place here, like on manhole covers and official neighborhood signs. Do you have her kids' books? They feature chickens.