Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Stroke of Genius





I make mention about my husband on here from time to time. Today I thought I'd highlight a little known side of him. Truly a renaissance man, hubs does it all. He cooks, he writes, he builds and repairs things, he's well versed in art and literature and philosophy and religion and so very much. He's exceptionally kind and exceedingly generous. Plus, he's an artist. The images above he carefully, painstakingly, patiently rendered by hand.

Glenn picked up his MFA from UPenn in '94, which, incidentally, was the same year I graduated high school (we're 9 years apart). He's influenced by, in his own words, psychology, eastern philosophy, and non-objective art. He spent a good deal of his studies researching and learning about color theory and has a fine grasp of the best means of applying particular colors to evoke moods and responses.

I adore his work. I adore all he does, really.

9 comments:

id said...

these are breathtaking. actually, more like breathmaking in their yantric/mandalic-like qualities. truly extraordinary linework - the care and intention is apparent in every stroke. they're a profound enough reminder of the utility of intensive focus that i just turn on the automated "change picture" function on my desktop background for the first time so they'll be cycling through my gaze as i work all day...

thanks so much for posting these!

Anonymous said...

I agree with id..."breathtaking" is exactly what I thought, right after I hoped they were silk fabric swatches so I could make a dress, a top, a wardrobe. Thank you for sharing!

nicole said...

After all this time, and I finally get to see Glenn's artwork! There's such a beautiful energy about these pieces, especially viewed together like this. It's like seeing the interconnectedness of all things in a visual field. They are quite inviting. Thanks to both you and Glenn for sharing these. It only makes me want to see more.

Katy said...

Wow. Those are so cool! They kind of remind me of the needlepoint mazes that my father does. Very artistic, yet extremely mathematic and precise. I'll send you guys a picture.

-Katy

Gray Skies said...

These are amazing! I too was hoping that they were fabric swatches, because they would make some darn good pillows or curtains! My husband is super artistic too, and does these things that he calls "doodles" but are really breathtaking works of art - I wish I was artistically talented like that! I couldn't draw a stick figure to save my life :)

shine little light* said...

Jeepers! They are amazing! What a catch you have my dear! *s*

Chppie said...

You know these would be really cool on Spoonflower fabric for those of us that like to sew with art! Thanks for sharing.

Elizabeth Maxson said...

I had to reread your post several times to make sure I read correctly that Glenn did this by HAND? I would love, love, love to see photos of work on canvas - or whatever medium he used. I just don't know which is my favorite....I am mesmerized. How long did these take, I wonder?

By the way, I just discovered your blog and I am totally addicted. I absolutely love your take on life, food, and family.

Elizabeth

ashley english said...

Elizabeth-these are all done in pen and ink on paper. Time length varies from piece to piece, as he sometimes revisits pieces to tweak and amend them. When he gets into a piece, though, he totally gets absorbed, for hours!