Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Signs of the Times

Ah, yes. Spring has sprung. And although it is hovering around 49 degrees today, and although Huxley and his Papa and I all wore hats and sweaters and turtlenecks and wool socks out to have breakfast with my cousin and her family this morning, and although hot beverages and flannel blankets are still the order of the day, spring is definitely here.

There's proof everywhere I look on our property. From the hellebores, cold frame seedlings, flowering quince, budding tulip and forsythia and apple tree blossoms pictured above to the buds on ginkgo and dogwood trees, purple martin nests in the birdhouse, and wisteria sending vines up onto the entry porch, spring is definitely here to stay in this forest abode.

To see more springtime hints chez English, check this out.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Tulip leaves!

This is my first spring following your blog, so I'm really excited to see more pictures of your lovely property!

Katy said...

Lovely photos! Spring sprung here, as well, in PA...although today surprised us with *snow*! Ack! I am not too down-trodden though, because I know that it *will* melt soon! :)

Helena said...

Wow, a real spring. I blinked, and ours is gone. We seem to be well on our way to summer here (FL). :)

Christine R said...

By the looks of your pictures, your a couple weeks ahead of me here in central Ontario. We still have taps in maple trees and only the crocuses have starting to peak through the lawn. Our home is full of the sweet smell of maple sap as it's being boiled down on the stove. We've collected 26 gallons thus far; 5 3/4 of that being just yesturday!!! (First time I've ever done a conversion from litres to gallons!)

Melanie J. said...

If you see a rather large person climbing underneath your forsythia bush, it's me :) OK, JK, I live in Florida, but seeing that pic took me right back to CT when I was a kid and I'd take snacks and a book under our massive forsythia in the front yard. Thanks for the flashback!

Anonymous said...

I would do anything to see some tulips or green right now! I am so jealous Ashley!

amanda said...

I recently found my way to your blog and am enjoying it quite a bit~ we are not so far down the road in Black Mt, also with a first babe (14 months), a few chickens and plans to add bees very very soon...... I've been looking at your bee and chicken books and think I'll just have to add them to my collection soon!

Just yesterday I was out taking pictures of our wisteria and lilacs ready to burst, the creeping phlox and violets. Spring has sprung, indeed!

Ilix said...

Ah spring, it's lovely. Personally I started my seeds today, can't wait to plant them outside already!