Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happiness Is A Plate of French Toast


Happiness is a spouse who cooks up a batch of his inter-galactically renown french toast (and that's not at all hyperbolic, it's just that good)without solicitation. Super happiness is then achieved when he covers it in freshly made blueberry maple syrup. Over-the-top happiness is experienced when he makes it the morning that you are feeling haggard, and run-down, and congested after tending to a teething baby overnight and sharing his seasonal allergy-related (I think) cough.

Thanks, Hubs. Huxley and I much approve.
*Hubs would like me to share his "secret" tip for making French toast with ease: Forget about soaking the bread slices in a large Pyrex or similar rectangular dish. Use a cookie sheet (with edges) instead, which makes it easier to fit all of the slices in one batch and provides more space for turning them as they soak. There you go!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum! And what kind of bread does he use?

ashley english said...

nancy-yes! i totally should have mentioned that! we typically use challah. this particular french toast was flavored with cardamom, too, one of my most beloved spices. SO good!

Erin said...

Blueberry maple syrup?! How have I not tried this before?

Love that picture of Huxley! Hope you two are feeling better soon.

Meg said...

That plate and messy faced baby just made me swoon. What a husband! I read the interview you did with Amanda at http://www.vintagesavoirfaire.com/ and was so inspired by the love you and your husband share. I'm about to get hitched and yours is a relationship that warms my heart.

Meesh said...

Mmmmm I am forwarding this to my loverman who is also an unsolicited french toast maker of note. He might have to step up his game a little bit tho... cardamon and blueberry syrup... yes!

alexa said...

Hey, that IS a nice tip! Incidentally, that is also very nice wake up breakfast after a rough night. Props team English!

Bee Girl said...

Sounds delicious and like just what you needed! Nice! Great tip, too. So obvious and yet completely overlooked! Who knew!?

PQ said...

so stealing the cookie sheet tip thanks! (and I wish i could steal that french toast, too. drooling...)

Stefka said...

What great convergence, Ashley! I've been experimenting with french toast recently, and have been obsessed with the cardamom - blueberry - maple syrup combination for the last month. (I may have even made it for breakfast this morning...) Heavenly, right?

A couple of weeks ago I celebrated my birthday with a breakfast of cardamom blueberry french toast and cardamom-enhanced coffee, and then later on with a cardamom birthday cake (with a mocha cream layer and ginger frosting- yum!). If I have a threshold for cardamom, I haven't reached it yet...