Monday, April 23, 2012

Soup & Snuggles

So, that seasonal allergy thing I mentioned? It's still here. It's much better than yesterday, but it's still lingering. Swallowing last night felt like daggers were being jabbed down my throat. Not good.

Fortunately, Hubs came to the rescue. Instead of heading to his usual Sunday ritual of 4 hours (!!!) of competitive Scrabble in town, he stuck around, and after whipping up that amazing bit of French toast, he pulled out the stock pot and brewed a savory batch of his stellar chicken soup. Although different every time he makes it, the pot he made yesterday mirrored this recipe in many ways.

Additional sick day components were shiitake and cremini mushrooms (good for immune system bolstering) and lots of fresh herbs (full of chlorophyll and infection-fighting properties). All soup is better with bread, and Hubs served his alongside thick, hearty slices of our much beloved local bakery Farm & Sparrow's Market Bread. And then he served it to me in bed. I've got a good one, folks.

Along with my typical sick-fighting arsenal of grapefruit seed extract and nettle tincture, I'm downing hefty mug upon mug of my go-to Ginger Tea. Hot, spicy and soothing, this stuff is an absolute balm to my scorched throat. I've also taken a few hot baths with eucalyptus essential oil added in. Never one to get sick sitting down, I'm giving it my all. Consider yourself warned, cold. You're going down.

Fortunately, Huxley seems just fine. Though he's had a cough each morning since Friday, he's suffered none of my other afflictions. He even wanted to play outside today, in 40 degree weather. He knows, though, that, alongside his Papa's chicken soup, his snuggles ("Huggies!" are what he calls them) will get me well as fast as anything.

What about you? What do you do when you're down for the count? I'm always up for learning of time-honored natural remedies!

12 comments:

nicole said...

I'm always a fan of the hot ginger / lemon/ honey tea combo but with the addition of raw garlic and cayenne. Lately I've been a fan of local manufacturer Gaia Herb's Quick Defense rapid immune response pills. Packed with echinacea, elderberry, and ginger, they're my now go-to when I feel just the slightest inkling that something is coming on. I'm actually taking some now as a preventative before heading off to germland of airports and airplanes tomorrow.

kimpeck said...

i love mixing lavender oil with olive oil (about 4 drops lavender to 1/2 cup of oil, rubbing it on the bottom of my feet, and sliding on thick wooly socks. clears the lungs, feels good and smells even better :) get well soon!

Christina Lowry said...

I'm a honey and lemon juice in hot water fan as well. So soothing. Hope you are feeling well soon, but enjoy the special attention in the meantime! :)

Unknown said...

2000's iu of vit. D, year round, are really good for your immune system too. Double it when you feel yucky, then go back to normal when you eel better....

Yasmin said...

Feel better! I'm a fan of ginger tea with honey, too (that, and lots of rest, if I can).

alexa said...

Aside from the traditional tea with honey and lemon (seems to be pretty popular from the looks of it), we're into flax seed tea. It really helps quiet coughing and soothes a sore throat. (Just boil the seeds in a pot until the brew is amber coloured.)

Get well soon!

Meryl said...

"Nigella's Soup for Needy People" (google that exact phrase and the recipe will pop up) is good for all sorts of maladies--whether physical or just a little sadness in the spirit!

Inge said...

Aside from lots of tea and water, what works best for me is lots of sleep. I never really had any other remedies, so I'll keep this post in mind for when I get sick (which luckily doesn't happen very often). Thanks for the tips and get well soon!

Unknown said...

Feel better soon, Ashley! LOVE your bedroom paint color, btw.

Anonymous said...

Tea for me!

Spring said...

Count me in on the hot honey/lemon/tea combo. It's not just soothing ... it also replenishing electrolytes, which is a good thing when you're sick. I find that water is my best friend when sick ... steamy baths and showers to relax the body and make the nose run, but also warm, wet compresses on forehead and sinuses to relieve pressure or cool, soothing wet clothes for burning eyes.

heather, whatchabuildin said...

Gobs of Green Tea, water, chicken soup, and sleep - lots of it! Also, gargle with salt water, gross but it works to calm my throat.