Friday, April 13, 2012

What I'm Digging

Hubs, Huxley and I dashed out this morning for a rollicking, romping good time at Mighty Mites, which is essentially just baby gymnastics. Like I said on here before, it's just about the best $5 I've ever spent. Forty-five minutes of running, crawling, bouncing, and giggling makes for a tuckered-out baby and two happy parents! 

Here's a smattering of this's and that's that caught my attention this week:
*Upcycling tin cans!
*Joel Salatin's take on local food being called elitist.
*Sibella Court's work space is so beautifully curated.
*Made this cake for my buddy Jen's birthday on Wednesday. Crazy delicious!
*May I have the grace and poise of Maia when I am her age (via Erin).
*I've told Hubs I'll take one of these out here for my writer's cabin.  
*Great pantry staple gift ideas.
*Hannah's jewelry just keeps getting better!
*So. Amazingly. Beautiful.
*I'm in love with this fragrance (also, I was wearing a flannel shirt when I read this).

My mom turns a young 65 this weekend (on tax day!), so we've got family coming up to celebrate. Looking forward to eating lunch here tomorrow and then noshing on this cake out here afterwards (Mom LOVES coconut!). Sunday will find me in the bee yard, making splits with fellow beekeepers. Should be a wonderful weekend, all around.

Wherever you go, whatever you do, whomever you do it with, may it be grand!

9 comments:

El Gaucho said...

I'm not the biggest coconut fan, but Coconut Southern Comfort Layer Cake? Heck yes I'd be down with that. Have a great weekend!!

greyson said...

Good Stuff Girl!

Erin said...

Those sheep!!! Gorgeous.

Meesh said...

When I saw the lead photo for your post in it's little thumbnail size I could tell it was Huxley but I thought he had on a modern kids version of the old timey diving bell suits!! I thought that was sooo cool (and a little bit crazy) that you were teaching him to scuba dive! Ha! But then I clicked on it, it's bigger and now I see. But seriously, toddler scuba diving? How cool would that be?!?!?!

tansy said...

I've been thinking a lot about local food and elitism lately (I'm reading The Omnivore's Dilemma - late to the table, I know!). I think Joel is a smart man, and his break down of how the industrial food system works - specifically how it works against local food producers - is really insightful. Yet, I'm not sure he really addresses how local food isn't really affordable for all. I agree, that there probably are a lot more people who could choose to make better purchases with the money they do have - but the given there is that they do have money - there are also a lot of people who just can't. I feel that with all of the reading I've done about the local/organic food market, this is an issue that is often glossed over or not addressed at all.

mommy fletcher said...

I have just discovered your blog and am truly enjoying all of the information you share. I am also very interested in your books, I want to learn more about living simply. I live in the Hendersonville area, not too far from you and was wondering if your books are for sale anywhere locally (Hendersonville or Asheville)?
Thanks for all the information you share.

ashley english said...

Mommy Fletcher-Yes! My books are carried at Malaprops downtown and at both area Barnes & Nobles stores.

Jaime said...

I have nominated/awarded you with The Versatile Blogger Award :)
Thanks for your lovely blog!
~Jaime

jenbern said...

very happy to have stumbled upon your blog! Just lovely!!