Friday, April 20, 2012

What I'm Digging

Happy Friday, friends! We hit the motherlode, rain-wise, this week. Oh yes. Most of Tuesday and all day Wednesday, it poured like there was no stopping. And it really couldn't have come at a better time, as the flora and fauna out here were parched and thirsty. Huxley was a huge fan of the rain's output, too (my favorite part is when he says "Hot!" clearly meaning "Cold!"). 

I'm so excited to announce a brand-spanking new collaboration with my gal-pal Jen Altman. She and I are working together on my Small Measures with Ashley column on Design Sponge. I'm penning and coming up with the topic, while she styles and photographs the images. Our first project together is on making Infused Vinegars. It's so lovely. Jen is an epically talented photographer and just a great lady, all around. We'll be posting two Small Measures over there each month on Fridays. I'll be sure to post a link here each time there's something new. 

Here's a sampling of this's and that's that grabbed my attention this week:
*Morels! Everywhere!
*DIY deodorant.
*A homemade rain barrel.
*Turn your 2011 applesauce into cake!
*French children really do eat everything (this is how we've done foods with Huxley, too).
*Love this easy outdoor umbrella stand idea.
*Gorgeous teardrop terrarium.
*Pickled radishes? Yes, please!
*A treasure trove of foraging recipe ideas.
*Feeling the life force of food.

I'm determined to find organically grown local strawberries at the farmer's market tomorrow. I've heard word that they're out there, so it's just a matter of getting to them before everyone else in town does! Otherwise, I plan to leave the laptop and toil the soil, working in the garden weeding, planting, sowing seeds and otherwise gettin' in it (that said, I did just learn this week that our wifi signal reaches the garden, so I actually could work out there, not that I will, just that I could...).

Wherever you go this weekend, whatever you do, whomever you do it with, may it be grand!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely going to use the applesauce cake recipe, but I think I'm going to forgo the icing, cut down the sweet a little and use it as a breakfast bread. I've got a few quarts (yes quarts!) of applesauce left over from last season and I need to use them up, but we're not big cake eaters and I don't have any big events coming up.

Meryl said...

Good luck on the strawberries! I love my sleeping in on Saturdays too much (and they're always gone about five seconds after our farmer's market opens).

Unknown said...

I loved that video! Your boy is such a delight!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Team Fun said...

Loved the link to Sophie's article and her piggy pics. We have two American Guinea Hogs (a mating pair) and I am absolutely smitten with them. I knew I'd love our hens and ducks, but pigs? Who knew! Great piece. May the life force be with all of us.

Team Fun said...

Oh, and another cool idea -- the rain barrel article made me remember it -- directing rain gutters into animal waterers. My daughter attends a farm preschool where they have set up their coops and other animal shelters this way. Here in Oregon, this means you almost never have to worry about your animals' water.

Sophie - The Joy of Farming said...

Ashley - Thanks so much for including me in your digging list! It was definitely a fun discovery to make this Friday morning... Danielle - I have long intended to add a gutter-to-waterer setup to my mobile coop (and someday, to the barn). Thanks for the reminder! Smitten with pigs, absolutely.

Amber said...

I loved the link to the foraging article! Here in the Carolinas, it's time to start foraging mulberries! We have a large bowl awaiting cobbler now. They're considered a "weed" tree and tend to grow on the unwanted edges of urban parking lots, etc. We boldly put down our old picnic sheet beneath a tree and whacked the upper branches with a stick. I wrote about it at the link above (my name).

Redneck Paisana said...

Thank you so much for the mention, Ashley! I loved your post and other links. I'm also very interested in your books--where is the best place to buy them? Directly from your site? Can't wait to read about future projects.

ashley english said...

redneck paisana-if you click on the icons on my books (running on the right-hand side of the page here), you'll go through to amazon, where the books can be purchased. otherwise, local booksellers, indiebound, and barnes & noble all carry my books.

Redneck Paisana said...

great! wasn't sure if you had a preferred source. looking fwd to reading as we enter the world of chickens and bees!

Amanda said...

Thanks for linking to my DIY deodorant recipe ... it really works, I promise! :) Keep up the great work. Amanda