Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring Fever

Spring in the mountains of western N.C. is a fickle muse. One day it's warm and sunny, the next wet, rainy, and dreary. Other days it's sunny and crazy windy, making outdoor tasks a real chore.

As the daffodils have begun to emerge and crocuses pop up in the most unexpected locations (um, the chicken coop? who knew?), I've found myself pining, yearning, aching for warm days and springtime loveliness. Working fastidiously from home on my books over what was an admittedly rather rough winter has me chomping at the bit to get outdoors, eat asparagus, lay in the grass with a good book, cloud gaze, and eat berries.

Oh, berries. Lately all I can think about are strawberries and blackberries and raspberries and more, their tart, plump sweetness satisfying every imaginable craving. I'm looking forward to picnics and brunch on the patio and open windows and a generally less dusty and animal-fur riddled house. I'm itching to go swimming and hiking and linger lazily in the rocking chair on the front porch. I'd also really love to learn how to sail, drifting aimlessly over swells and crests, putting down anchor, cracking open a bottle of white wine and soaking up sun. Seeing as that I live in the mountains, however, that urge is on indefinite pause...

What about you? What bit of spring fever has seized and captivated your thoughts and longings?

*Image from here.

10 comments:

Liane said...

I am very excited to get into the yard this spring and make my vegetable beds beautiful and productive. I'm rebuilding some of the raised beds and getting that dozen layer hens in May! Yay!

Denise said...

Fresh veggies from the garden. My chickens should start laying in August so fresh eggs for us. And flinging open the windows to let the fresh air in. Spring is wonderful...well except for the pollen but we won't go there. Did your chickens eat the crocuses? Don't think that would taste very good...

Denise said...

Fresh veggies from the garden. My chickens should start laying in August so fresh eggs for us. And flinging open the windows to let the fresh air in. Spring is wonderful...well except for the pollen but we won't go there. Did your chickens eat the crocuses? Don't think that would taste very good...

EcoGrrl said...

looking forward to wandering through fields of asparagus in a couple of weeks when i go visit my fella.

and of course...tomatoes.

Anonymous said...

Spent the last two days cleaning out beds and re-potting seedlings. Tomorrow I begin work on fixing up a hand me down chicken coop. We just brought home 4 chicks. We are capturing our journey here: http://midtownchicks.blogspot.com/

Love your blog, thank you for the resource and inspiration!

Chroma Lab said...

All I really require is to wear some light clothing while getting my plants going on the porch. I've felt like the Michelin man all winter here in Boston!

AlizaEss said...

I'm hovering over my teeny little seedlings like a mama hen. Can't wait until I see the beets, baby bok choy, carrots, peas, and kale start to look like real strong plants!

Amber Pixie Shehan said...

Tromping.

I want trees over my head, mosses to lay on the ground and stare at, animals to track and birds to imitate! :)

Daisy Driver said...

Gardening, gardening, gardening, I can't wait - this time of year I love to look at plants, seeds and anything that grows. It makes me feel alive!

tigress said...

growing things! :)