Friday, March 26, 2010

Water Stewardship

My "Small Measures with Ashley" post is up over at Design Sponge. This week, in recognition of World Water Day (which occurred this past Monday, March 22nd), I discuss water conservation, preservation, and overall stewardship. There are several links to documentary films in the post. I highly encourage you to check them out. "Acid Test" can be viewed in its entirety, as can "The Story of Bottled Water", which "Flow" can be picked up at your local video store or added to your home delivery queue.

I'm so excited about the gardening class I begin tomorrow. My friends Beth and Christopher debut the first of a four-part, four month-long organic gardening workshop at their Swannanoa, NC outpost, Red Wing Farm. Tomorrow morning, after filming a few quick promotional videos with my best gal pal and editrix-extraordinnaire Nicole, I'll be meeting up with these amazing ladies and then heading for brunch at Posana. From there, Alisa and I will go get our dirt on, learning all about tomorrow's introductory topic, "Starting from Seed." The course will cover everything from making your own soil starting mix to germination, direct sowing, beginning seeds indoors, heirloom preservation, seed-saving, and becoming a seed steward. Should be incredible, and the weather appears to agree, with forecasts indicating a day full of sunshine and upper-50 degree temps.

Have a great weekend! And don't forget, the 2-hour premiere of Jamie's Food Revolution is at 8 p.m. ET tonight!
*Image from here.

2 comments:

Sense of Home Kitchen said...

I agree, bottled water is pretty much a thing of the past for me, but that picture is beautiful.

Received the chutney and it is delicious, thank you. Wrote my review of your book today as well. Now I am anxious for your next book!

Have fun at the gardening class, we made gardening plans today and bought a few seeds, but will have to wait for May before the real planting begins. The woes of living up north.

-Brenda

ashley english said...

thank you for your kind review, brenda. truly appreciated!